On the opening night of the high school football season…
– Calumet christened the new turf at Agassiz Field with a 47-7 victory over the Gogebic Miners. Scott Loukus ran for the game’s first touchdown, and passed for another. Nick Djerf scored twice. Gogebic’s only score came in the fourth quarter.
– Houghton fell to Westwood 24-12.
– Hancock blanked L’Anse 21-0.
– Ontonagon lost to Engadine 60-0.
Lake Linden-Hubbell begins its season tomorrow afternoon at Norway. Our coverage will begin at 2:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school volleyball yesterday…
– Calumet v Cadillac – no report.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell swept Jeffers 3-0 (25-12, 25-14, 25-18).
In cross country yesterday, at the Dale Phillips Invitational at Marquette…
– Chassell finished second to Marquette in the girls meet, with Hancock fourth, and Houghton fifth. The top individual finisher from our local teams was Ingrid Seagren of the Gremlins, in fifth place.
– On the boys side, Houghton’s Joe Wood took first place individually. The Gremlins finished third as a team, and Chassell placed eighth.
The Finlandia University fall athletics season begins this weekend.
The women’s soccer team entertains Adrian College tonight at 7:00 at McAfee Field, and visits Northland College in Ashland tomorrow.
The men’s soccer team plays at Northland College tonight, and will face Lakeland University in Ashland tomorrow.
The Lions volleyball team is at Ripon College in Illinois, where they’ll face Dominican University tonight, and Ripon and Bethany Lutheran College tomorrow.
The Cleveland Indians completed a sweep of the Detroit Tigers with a 2-0 victory yesterday. Daniel Norris gave up a run over three innings. Drew VerHagen allowed one run over four frames.
The Tigers host the Minnesota Twins tonight. Edwin Jackson will start against Kyle Gibson. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers had yesterday off, and begin a set against the Cubs in Chicago this afternoon. Chase Anderson will start against José Quintana.
The Cardinals also had yesterday off. The Cubs won, so Saint Louis leads the National League Central Division by a game-and-a-half over Chicago, with Milwaukee five-and-a-half games out.
The Detroit Lions completed a winless NFL exhibition schedule with a 20-16 loss to the Browns in Cleveland last night. Matthew Stafford and many of the other starters did not play. Josh Johnson completed nine of 15 passes for 157 yards and a touchdown.
The Lions open their season a week from Sunday at Arizona. Hear all their games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers closed their preseason on a winning note, with a 27-20 triumph over the Kansas City Chiefs. Aaron Rodgers rode the bench, as DeShone Kizer completed eight of 15 passes for 77 yards and a score.
The Packers kick off their regular campaign Thursday night at Chicago.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.