In girls high school basketball last night…
• Calumet defeated Houghton 56-49. Elli Djerf scored 19 for the Copper Kings.
• Hancock stopped West Iron County 52-33.
• Ewen-Trout Creek overpowered Jeffers 70-23.
• L’Anse shut down Chassell 45-25. Maija Rice had 27 points for the Purple Hornets.
In boys play last evening…
• Ewen-Trout Creek got past Jeffers 73-66 in overtime. The Panthers’ Tommy Cousineau hit a long three-pointer at the buzzer to force the extra period.
• L’Anse downed Chassell 73-61.
On the girls schedule tonight…
• Calumet travels to Ishpeming.
In boys action tonight…
• Houghton visits Marquette.
In girls-boys doubleheaders tonight, with games beginning at 5:45…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Bessemer.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City welcomes Ontonagon.
• Ewen-Trout Creek tips off at Jeffers.
• Baraga entertains Watersmeet.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Houghton plays at Calumet.
• Hancock travels to Marquette.
• Jeffers visits Negaunee. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In high school swimming this afternoon…
• Houghton welcomes Kingsford.
The Michigan Tech hockey team will host Lake Superior State University tonight. It’s the first of two make-up games from a series that was postponed because of COVID-19 protocol in January. The second game will be played in Houghton a week from tonight.
The Huskies are ranked 18th in this week’s USCHO.com poll. Tech defenseman Colin Swoyer has been named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association’s Defenseman of the Week. In fact, the Upper Peninsula swept the league’s weekly honors, with NMU’s André Ghantous named top forward and goaltender Rico DiMatteo top rookie, and Lake Superior State University’s Mareks Mitens top goaltender.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams will face Northern Michigan University tonight. The men play at 5:30 in Houghton, and the women at 7:30 in Marquette.
The Finlandia University men’s basketball team plays at Lakeland College tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings fell to the Chicago Blackhawks 3-2 in overtime last night. The Blackhawks took an early 2-0 lead, but goals by Vladislav Namestnikov and Christian Djoos tied the contest. Dominik Kubalik’s tally with 17 second remaining in the extra period won it for Chicago. Thomas Greiss took another tough loss in net.
The Wings host the Blackhawks again tomorrow. Coverage begins at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons game against San Antonio tonight has been called off. COVID-19 protocol has left the Spurs short of the required eight players.
As baseball training camps prepare to open, a couple of former Detroit Tigers have found homes. Pitcher Justin Wilson has signed with the New York Yankees. First baseman C.J. Cron has inked a minor league deal with the Colorado Rockies. Tigers pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland tomorrow.
The Milwaukee Brewers have picked up outfielder Derek Fisher from the Toronto Blue Jays, in exchange for cash and a player to be named later. The Crew has also signed reliever Brad Boxberger to a minor league contract. Boxberger was an All-Star in 2015, but has since struggled with injuries. Brewers pitchers and catchers report to training camp in Arizona Thursday.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tomorrow, when the Dollar Bay-Tamarack City boys play at Hancock. The pregame show will start around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Our Finlandia University broadcasts continue Saturday, when the Lions men’s hockey team entertains Saint Scholastica. Coverage will start at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.