Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school hockey…
– Calumet spotted Novi a one-goal lead in the first period, then roared back to claim a 5-1 victory Friday night. The Copper Kings surged ahead with three goals in the second period, and added two power play tallies in the third. Alex Studebaker stopped 21 shots for his third win in three tries for Calumet. Novi’s Manny Legace Jr. made 35 saves in the loss. The Copper Kings have scored 17 goals over their past three games. They will host Brighton tonight at 7:00 at the Colosseum.
– Hancock fell to Brighton 4-2 Friday night. The Bulldogs will host Orchard Lake St. Mary this afternoon. Our broadcast will begin around 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Houghton lost to Orchard Lake St. Mary 3-0 Friday night. The Gremlins will entertain Novi this afternoon at 1:00.
– Jeffers dropped a 4-1 decision to Kingsford Friday evening.
In boys high school basketball Friday night…
– L’Anse lost to Ishpeming 40-35. See video highlights from the game here.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City fell to Ontonagon 65-61.
In girls action Friday night…
– Houghton smothered Lake Linden-Hubbell 80-21. Sloane Zenner led the Gremlins with 19 points.
– Jeffers stopped Ontonagon 45-36.
– Chassell cruised past Bessemer 58-25.
– The Baraga-Watersmeet game was postponed because of weather. No make-up date has been announced.
– L’Anse v Stephenson – no report received.
Today, Dollar Bay plays at Jeffers in a make-up from December 13th.
12th-ranked Notre Dame scored two late goals to defeat the Michigan Tech hockey team 3-1 Friday night. The Fighting Irish took the lead in the second period, but Joel L’Esperance tied it for the Huskies just 17 seconds into the third stanza. Angus Redmond made 23 saves, and took the loss in net. Tech skates at Notre Dame again tonight. It’s the final non-conference game of the season for the Huskies.
Both MTU basketball teams play at Tiffin today.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team fell 3-2 to Lake Superior State in opening game of the Cappo Cup series Friday night. Game two of that home-and-home set will be played tonight in Marquette.
Both Northern Michigan University basketball squads will play at Ashland today.
Bethany Lutheran College broke open a close game with a 15-0 run early in the second half, and put away the Finlandia University women’s basketball team 79-63 Friday night. Hancock freshman Molly Berg led the Lions with 13 points and six assists. Dollar Bay’s Julia Daavettila added 11 points.
The Bethany Lutheran men’s basketball team took control early, and defeated Finlandia 96-61. Brandon Robinson had 23 points for the Lions, and Marcus Geralds had 18 points and nine rebounds.
Both Finlandia University basketball teams play at Martin Luther College this afternoon.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team gave up two late goals, and lost 4-2 at St. Scholastica Friday night. The Lions fell behind 2-0 early, but tied the game with goals by Matt Benolkin and Kendall Bolen-Porter. Alec Rounds made 43 saves to keep Finlandia in the game. Those teams skate again this afternoon in Duluth.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team entertains Wisconsin-Superior this evening at 7:30, and tomorrow afternoon at 1:00.
Both the Portage Lake Pioneers and the Calumet Wolverines have this weekend off.
The Detroit Red Wings skate at San Jose this evening.
The Detroit Pistons play at Portland tonight.
The NFL playoffs begin today . Oakland plays at Houston at 4:35. The wild card Detroit Lions will play at Seattle at 8:15.
Tomorrow, Miami plays at Pittsburgh at 1:05. The NFC North champion Green Bay Packers welcome the New York Giants at 4:40. Hear all the NFL playoff games on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.