In high school hockey last night…
• Calumet lost to Marquette 3-1. Nolan Sturos scored the only Copper Kings’ goal on a power play in the second period. Aksel Loukus made 30 saves, as Calumet was outshot 33-16. The loss drops the Copper Kings into a first-place tie with the Redmen in the Great Lakes Hockey League.
On the hockey schedule tonight…
• Hancock skates at Jeffers.
In boys high school basketball last evening…
• Calumet got past L’Anse 43-37.
• Hancock lost to Gwinn 44-38.
• Jeffers dispatched Lake Linden-Hubbell 71-45. Levi and Isaiah Frahm each scored 15 for the Jets.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost at Wakefield-Marenisco 71-33.
• Ontonagon fell to Ironwood 59-48.
In girls action last night…
• Calumet got off to a quick start, and breezed past Negaunee 64-46. The Copper Kings led 21-5 at the end of the first quarter. Jana Loukus scored 24.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City outscored Wakefield-Marenisco 51-27.
In boys action tonight…
• Calumet travels to Iron Mountain.
In a girls-boys doubleheader…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Ewen-Trout Creek. The women will tip off at 6:00, with the boys to follow. It’s a make-up from January 13th.
The 14th-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team slammed Northern Michigan 8-1 last night. Beset by injuries, the Wildcats had to make several line-up adjustments, including starting third-string goalie Nolan Kent. The Huskies took advantage, building a 4-0 lead in the first period. Brian Halonen, Logan Ganie and Tristan Ashbrook each scored twice. Eric Gotz and Arvid Caderoth added single goals. Trenton Bliss and Michael Karow each had three assists.
The Finlandia women’s basketball game at Bay College last night was postponed. No make-up date has been set.
The Finlandia men’s team will host Wisconsin-Superior this evening. It’s a make-up game from January 11th. Coverage will begin at 7:10 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Finlandia University volleyball team has introduced a new recruit. Taryn Orn is a three-time letter-winner from Livingston High School in Texas.
The Detroit Red Wings return to the ice tonight, when they visit the Philadelphia Flyers. Because of Finlandia basketball on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 6:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons lost to the Dallas Mavericks 116-86 last night. Hamidou Diallo scored 18 for Detroit.
The Pistons have dropped nine of their last 10, and host the Memphis Grizzlies tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers introduced Rich Bisaccia as their new special teams coordinator yesterday. Over the past 20 years, he’s handled special teams for the Buccaneers, Chargers, Cowboys, and Raiders.
Baraga County Trails in Motion will host its annual Lantern-Lit Snowshoe Hike Saturday from 6:30 until 8:00 at the L’Anse Township Park. Enjoy the well-groomed trails. Warm yourself near the bonfire, enjoy some hot cocoa, and roast a marshmallow. There is no charge. You may wish to bring snowshoes, Yaktrax, and a headlamp or flashlight. COVID-19 protocols will be followed. For more details, visit the Baraga County Trails in Motion Facebook page.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tonight – basketball – Wisconsin-Superior at Finlandia men – 7:10 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Tomorrow – Wing Ding basketball doubleheader – Hancock girls and boys at Houghton – 5:25 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Wing Ding hockey – Hancock at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Notre Dame de la Baie at Calumet – 3:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Monday – basketball – Calumet at Houghton girls – 7:00 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – hockey – Calumet at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.