In high school hockey Saturday…
• Calumet edged Rochester 6-5 in overtime in a morning contest. Ayden Williams’ goal with four minutes left in regulation tied the contest. Dean Loukus’ goal a few seconds later gave the Kings a brief lead, but the Falcons got a late goal to force the extra stanza. Jackson Rilei scored the game-winner in overtime. Loukus had two goals and three assists. Rilei had two goals and two assists. Nolan Sturos had a goal and three assists. Aksel Loukus made 18 saves, as the Kings claimed a 40-23 shots on goal advantage.
• Several hours later, Hancock ripped Rochester 9-3. Austin Salani scored a hat trick. Kyle Mikkola and Bradley Randell each scored twice. Caleb Klein and Mason Mikesch also found the net for the Bulldogs.
• In an evening tilt, Calumet scored five goals in the first period, then three in the second to claim an 8-0 mercy rule shutout of Escanaba. Jackson Rilei had two goals and two assists. Noah Jukuri had two goals and one assist. Dean Loukus added a goal and three assists. That gives him 111 assists in high school career, and breaks the school record previously held by his brother, Brent. Tom Erkkila, Nolan Sturos and Paul Sturos also scored for the Copper Kings. Aksel Loukus claimed the win in net, as the Kings outshot the Eskymoes 37-11.
• Jeffers lost at Marquette, 8-1.
In hockey today…
• Houghton entertains Rochester. Coverage begins at 12:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
In girls basketball Saturday…
• Hancock shut down Chassell 61-36.
• Ontonagon edged Baraga 41-38.
In boys play Saturday…
• Baraga overpowered Ontonagon 56-34.
The Copper Country Christian School boys team earned two wins Saturday over the Delta County Knights – 40-31, and 55-52. Caleb Bach had a career-high 18 points for the Warriors in the opener, and Elijah Packard and Riley Anderson score 17 each in the second contest. The girls team dropped both of its contests against Delta County – 33-31, and 34-27. Nora Holmes scored 11 in the first game, and 16 in the second.
In high school swimming Saturday…
• Houghton split its meet against Sault Ste. Marie, with the boys winning 105-56, and the girls falling 130-48. Individual winners for the boys included Archer Olson in the 100 butterfly and 500 freestyle, Davin Evans in the 200 individual medley and the 100 breaststroke, and Ty Haataja in the 200 freestyle. See full results here.
The Michigan Tech hockey team dropped its third straight game, 2-1 to Bemidji State University Saturday night. Tommy Parrottino scored Tech’s only goal. Mark Sinclair made 14 saves.
The Northern Michigan University hockey squad skated to a 0-0 tie with Bowling Green Saturday night. The Wildcats claimed the bonus standings point in the shootout. Those teams skate in Marquette again today.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey team fell 5-0 to Saint Scholastica Saturday. Ben Kelsch took the loss in net.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball earned a weekend split against Grand Valley State University with a 75-62 victory Saturday afternoon. Owen White scored a career-best 30 points for the Huskies, and grabbed nine rebounds.
The Tech women’s team came from behind to edge GVSU 54-52 in Allendale Saturday. Ellie Mackay’s jump shot at the buzzer provided the winning margin. Jordan Ludescher led a balanced Huskies attack with 12 points. The Huskies have won 12 straight, and the victory snapped the Lakers’ nine-game winning streak. Those teams play again this afternoon.
The Northern Michigan University women’s hoops team salvaged a weekend split at Davenport University with a 62-43 victory Saturday. Makaylee Kuhn led the Wildcats with 17 points.
The Northern men’s team outscored Davenport 100-70 Saturday. Max Bjorklund scored 29 for the Wildcats. Those teams meet again today in Marquette.
Both Finlandia basketball teams lost at North Central University in Minnesota Saturday. The women fell 67-54. Katie Lundeen led the Lions with 12 points, and Bailey Froberg added 11. The men lost 99-62. Danny Zuchak scored 13 for FinnU, and Noah Prestia and River Shumate each chipped in 11.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team opened its season with a 3-0 win over Lake Superior State Saturday. Anna Joynas had 13 kills for the Huskies, and Laura De Marchi had 33 assists. Those teams play again this afternoon in Houghton.
The NMU volleyball team earned a weekend split against Ferris State University with a 3-1 victory Saturday.
The Detroit Red Wings rebounded from Friday’s lopsided loss to the Panthers, and defeated Florida 2-1 Saturday evening. Jonathan Bernier stopped 38 shots. Mathias Brome scored the game-winner – his first goal in the NHL.
The Wings host the Nashville Predators Tuesday. We’ll join the game in progress after Finlandia basketball on 99.3 The Lift.
Former Detroit coach Mike Babcock has been named the hockey coach at his alma mater, the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. He will serve as a volunteer for the next two seasons.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Orlando Magic this evening. Coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Former Detroit Tigers outfielder Cameron Maybin has signed a minor-league deal with the Chicago Cubs.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.