Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school football last night…
• Houghton routed Hancock 42-0 in the annual Copper Bowl game.
• Calumet dominated Gwinn 55-0. Aksel Loukus started the scoring by returning the opening kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown. Brayden Nelson scored on a 45-yard run. Loukus turned in a 51-yard run. The Copper Kings then blocked a punt deep in Gwinn territory, which Nelson recovered for a score. At the end of the first quarter, Calumet led 28-0, and had only run four offensive plays. The assault continued in the second quarter, as Amar Patterson scored on runs of 35 and 31 yards, and Danny Loukus raced in from 17 yards. The Kings led 49-0, and had still run only 14 offensive plays. Garrett Peterson added a 37-yard touchdown run in the third quarter to close out the scoring. Xander Hoffman made seven of eight extra point attempts. The Kings rolled up 321 yards on the ground, and did not attempt a pass.
• L’Anse won its game against West Iron County by forfeit.
• Ontonagon got past Ironwood 42-36.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts North Central at 1:30.
In volleyball last night…
• Baraga swept Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-17).
In volleyball today…
• Calumet competes at the Duluth Invitational.
The MTU football team welcomes Saginaw Valley State today at 1.
Northern entertains Post University for Homecoming today.
Finlandia visits Adrian College today.
The Tech volleyball team swept Purdue Northwest 3-0 (25-15, 25-16, 25-19) last night. The Huskies play at Parkside today.
The Finlandia volleyball team competes at the Red Hawks invitational today, with matches against host Ripon College, and Maranatha Baptist.
The Michigan Tech soccer team played to a 0-0 tie at Davenport yesterday afternoon. The Huskies visit Grand Valley State tomorrow.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team has the weekend off.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team spotted Monmouth College a three-goal lead, then stormed back to earn a 4-3 win yesterday afternoon. Christian Mendoza-Huynh scored twice. The Lions play at Edgewood College today.
College Cross Country
The Michigan Tech men’s cross country team earned its first-ever win at the Jo Rider men’s Maroon Race at the Roy Griak Invitational yesterday. Clayton Sayen and Drew Kolodge finished second and third individually. The Huskies are ranked 15th in the nation. The Tech women’s team finished fourth.
Jonathan Schoop homered, as the Tigers got past the White Sox 5-3 last night. Eduardo Rodriguez gave up all three Chicago runs over six innings, and earned the win.
The Tigers play at Chicago again tonight. Drew Hutchison will start against Davis Martin. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers downed the Reds 5-3 last evening. Andrew McCutcheon drove in three runs.
The Brewers continue that series at Cincinnati today. Corbin Burnes will pitch against Graham Ashcraft.
The Lions visit the Vikings for a 1 p.m. game tomorrow. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Packers travel to Tampa Bay for a 4:25 game tomorrow.
In tomorrow night’s contest, the 49ers visit the Broncos. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Thursday – Houghton volleyball plays at Hancock. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Thursday – Calumet volleyball plays at L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 6:20 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Calumet football play at Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Saturday – Finlandia University football hosts Northwestern (MN). Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.