In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet swept Iron Mountain 3-0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-18).
• Houghton breezed past Westwood 3-0 (25-16, 25-9, 25-15).
• Hancock blanked Jeffers 3-0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-8).
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Bessemer 3-0.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0 (25-15, 25-16, 25-13).
• L’Anse v Ewen-Trout Creek – no report.
In volleyball tomorrow…
• Calumet plays at the Ashwaubenon Invitational.
• Houghton competes at the Gladstone Invitational.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Baraga, Chassell, Jeffers will meet at the Baraga Invitational.
In cross country, Houghton swept its own Bill Fezzy Memorial Invitational yesterday…
• On the boys side, the Gremlins claimed five of the top nine positions, with Eric Weiss placing first overall. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City was second, led by Nikolas Thomas’ second-place individual finish. Jeffers, Ironwood, Watersmeet and Wakefield-Marenisco rounded out the team standings.
• Ingrid Seagren and Paige Sleeman of the Gremlins finished first and second, as the Houghton girls outpointed Hancock. Ironwood, Calumet and Dollar Bay-Tamarack City filled out the team standings.
• See full results here.
In high school football tonight…
• Calumet plays at Westwood. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Hancock entertains Negaunee.
• L’Anse welcomes Gwinn.
• Ontonagon visits Forest Park.
In high school football tomorrow…
• Houghton hosts Iron Mountain. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
•Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes Norway. Coverage will start at 1:10 on KBear 102.3.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team lost 3-0 at Lawrence University last night. The Lions will play at North Central tomorrow, and St. Olaf on Sunday.
The Michigan Tech soccer team plays at Bemidji State tonight, and Minnesota-Crookston on Sunday.
The Finlandia volleyball team swept the Moody Bible Institute 3-0 (25-20, 25-22, 25-15) in Chicago last evening. Joslyn Perala led the Lions with 11 kills, and Emily Wilson added 10. The Lions head to Dubuque for games against Clarke College tonight, and Emmaus Bible College tomorrow.
The Tech volleyball team begins play at the Illinois-Springfield Invitational this morning against McKendree, then faces Northwest Missouri State this evening. The Huskies will take on Lake Erie and the host team tomorrow.
The MTU football team hosts St. Thomas tomorrow. Kickoff is at 1:10.
The Northern Michigan University football team entertains Wisconsin-Oshkosh tomorrow afternoon.
The Finlandia football team welcomes Concordia-Chicago. Coverage will begin at 11:40 in advance of a noon kickoff on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and host the Tampa Bay Rays tonight. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift. Matthew Boyd will start against Michael Wacha.
The Milwaukee Brewers also had yesterday off, and begin an interleague set in Cleveland tonight. Adrian Houser will pitch against Eli Morgan.
The NFL season opened with a thriller last night, as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers edged the Dallas Cowboys 31-29. Tom Brady threw four touchdown passes, and Ryan Succop kicked a 36-yard field goal with two seconds remaining to secure the win.
The Detroit Lions begin their season Sunday with a 1:00 home game against the San Francisco 49ers. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers open in New Orleans, with a 4:25 game against the Saints.
The third Brody Strong Foundation 5k Run/Walk will be held tomorrow at 10:00 at the Chassell Trails. The cost is $25.00, with the proceeds going toward pediatric brain cancer research. For more details, click here.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.