In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton downed Northville 4-1. After a scoreless first period, Landon Stevens’ power play goal gave the Gremlins the lead eight seconds into the second stanza. Mike Maillette netted the eventual game-winner 75 seconds later. Camden Markham added two insurance tallies, and Bryant Lee made 17 saves.
• Calumet blew the game open with four goals in the first period, and pounded Novi 8-2. Jackson Rilei had a hat trick plus three assists. Paul Sturos had two goals and four assists. Braydon Cima, Tom Erkkila and Brendan Boberg also scored. Bruce Parisot made 18 saves.
• Hancock fell to Brighton 2-1. Lane Petit scored the game-winner for Brighton with two seconds remaining. The Zamboni at the Houghton County Arena broke down, but the game was saved when Michigan Tech drove over a replacement from the SDC.
In hockey today…
• Houghton hosts Novi in a 1:00 game. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Hancock welcomes Northville for a 1:00 game.
• Jeffers entertains Kingsford in a 1:00 contest.
• Calumet hosts Brighton in a 7:00 game. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
In high school girls basketball last night…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell shut down Wakefield-Marenisco 46-20. Emily Jokela scored 23 for the Lakes.
• Chassell fell to Ironwood 64-37. Trisha Pietila had 14 points and seven rebounds for the Panthers.
• Hancock stopped Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 62-30.
In boys action…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Wakefield-Marenisco 86-63. Gabe Popko scored 18 for the Lakes. Austin Shirkey of the Cardinals led all scorers with 24.
• Hancock edged Ontonagon 45-43.
The Copper Country Christian school girls team fell to the Faith Christian School from Wisconsin 39-25 last night. Kelsi Dunstan and Nora Holmes led the Warriors with seven points each. The boys team opened an early 20-2 lead, and cruised past the Conquerors 51-40. Daba Holmes and Riley Anderson each scored 11 points, and Caleb Bach and Sawyer Rebman each added 10. Both Warriors teams will host Faith Christian again this morning.
In high school swimming today, the Gremlins compete at their own Houghton Splash invitational.
The Michigan Tech hockey team is off this weekend.
The Northern Michigan hockey team downed Colgate 4-2 last evening. Those teams skate again tonight in Marquette.
The Finlandia University men’s hockey series at Trine University was postponed because of COVID-19 issues with the Lions. The games will be made up Monday and Tuesday.
The Finlandia women’s hockey team entertains St. Scholastica tonight at 7:00.
The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team will host Purdue Northwest this afternoon at 1:00. The women’s game against the Pride has been canceled because of COVID-19 concerns with the Purdue Northwest team.
Both NMU squads will entertain Wisconsin-Parkside today.
The Finlandia women’s basketball team will host Mount Mary today at 1:00.
The Finlandia men face the University of Dubuque today at Wisconsin Dells.
Former Calumet High School standout Elli Djerf will join the Finlandia University volleyball team next fall. Djerf recently transferred to Finlandia from Northern Michigan University, and is already playing for the Lions women’s basketball team.
Late goals by Logan Rastello and Miiko Karstu pushed the Calumet Wolverines to a 7-6 victory over the De Pere Deacons last night. The Wolverines skate at Fox Cities tonight.
The Portage Lake Pioneers have the weekend off.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Los Angeles Kings tonight night. Because of NFL football, coverage will begin at 10:15 on KBear 102.3.
Detroit’s Thursday night game at Anaheim, which was called off at the last minute because of COVID-19 issues with the Ducks, has been rescheduled for tomorrow night. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, coverage will begin at 7:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Detroit Pistons host the Orlando Magic tonight.
The regular NFL season wraps up this weekend. On today’s schedule…
• The Kansas City Chiefs visit the Denver Broncos for a 4:30 game.
• The Philadelphia Eagles host the Dallas Cowboys in an 8:15 contest.
Hear both broadcasts on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Detroit Lions host the Green Bay Packers in a 1:00 contest. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Today – hockey – Novi at Houghton – coverage begins at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Today – hockey – Brighton at Calumet – coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Monday – boys basketball – Negaunee at Calumet – coverage begins around 7:00 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – hockey – Houghton at Negaunee – because of basketball on 97.7 The Wolf, coverage begins at 5:40 on KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – boys basketball – Houghton at Hancock – coverage will begin around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.