In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet swept Hancock 3-0 (25-3, 25-10, 25-13). Helen Beiring led the Copper Kings with 21 kills.
• Ewen-Trout Creek blanked Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-0.
• Jeffers downed Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-1 (25-14, 25-21, 20-25, 25-21).
• L’Anse defeated Chassell 3-0.
• Baraga v Watersmeet – postponed, with no make-up date set.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
Calumet’s high school football game against West Iron County Friday night has been canceled. No reason has been given, but the Wykons had to back out of their game las week because they didn’t have enough healthy players available.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team dispatched Maranatha Baptist 5-2 yesterday. Brendan Christian scored twice for the Lions, and Osvaldo Cruz, Mohamed Koroma and Sabur Abudu each found the net once. It was Finlandia’s first ever win over the Sabercats.
Derek Hill doubled home Victor Reyes in the bottom of the 11th inning, as the Detroit Tigers edged the Milwaukee Brewers 1-0 last night. In the battle of the Peraltas, each starter went six innings, with Wily giving up two hits and striking out five for Detroit, and Freddy allowing two hits and striking out nine for Milwaukee. Both left the game after a lengthy rain delay. The Tigers host the Brewers again this afternoon. Matt Manning will start against Brandon Woodruff. Coverage will begin at 12:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
A loss by the Reds dropped them behind the Cardinals in the National League Central Division. Saint Louis won, so Milwaukee’s magic number for clinching the division title remains at five.
Milwaukee outfielder Ryan Braun confirmed his retirement from baseball yesterday, after 14 seasons with the Brewers. After struggling with injuries the past couple of seasons, Braun had not played this year, but hadn’t closed the door to a return until yesterday.
The Tigers placed reliever José Cisnero on the injured list yesterday, with an elbow laceration. Cisnero needed eight stitches to close the wound, after he slipped on the stairs at his home. Jason Foley was called up from Toledo.
The Detroit Red Wings have signed forward Givani Smith to a two-year contract extension.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Negaunee tomorrow. Coverage will start around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Houghton football team visits Bark River-Harris Saturday. Coverage will start at 1:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Central Saturday. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.