Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school football last night…
• Amar Patterson scored four touchdowns, as Calumet claimed a 35-12 homecoming victory over Houghton. The Copper Kings struck first, as Aksel Loukus ran 48 yards for a score late in the first quarter. Patterson then took over, rushing for 161 yards on 21 carries. He scored three times on the ground, and also returned an interception for a touchdown. Loukus added 112 yards rushing on 10 carries. Camden Markham ran for one Gremlins touchdown, and hit Gab Carlson with a scoring pass for the other.
• Hancock fell to Iron Mountain 47-0.
• L’Anse lost to Westwood 14-6.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell stopped Ironwood 36-6.
• Ontonagon fell to Forest Park 56-34.
In volleyball today, Houghton competes at the Esky Invitational in Escanaba.
Michigan Tech entertains Wayne State for homecoming today at 1:00.
Northern will host Davenport today at 1:00.
Finlandia will play at Minnesota-Morris this afternoon.
Michigan Tech got past Saginaw Valley State 3-1 (25-23, 25-21 19-25, 25-21) last evening. The Huskies host Wayne State today at 4:00.
The Mount Mary Quadrangular Finlandia was scheduled to play at this weekend became a triangular when Moody Bible Institute withdrew. Instead of playing yesterday, the Lions will face the host team and Maranatha Baptist today.
Tech lost 2-0 to sixth-ranked Grand Valley State last night. The Huskies welcome Davenport tomorrow at noon.
Finlandia’s men’s team routed Andrews University 5-1 yesterday. Mohamed Koroma, Cheihk Cisse, Chinedu Ikem, Benjamin Thompson and Skylar Thomas all found the net.
Finlandia’s women’s team blanked Grace Christian 1-0 yesterday. Tori Engeldinger scored the game’s only goal, as the Lions recorded their third straight shutout.
Both Finlandia teams will play at Great Lakes Christian today.
Michigan Tech opened its regular season with a 2-1 non-conference loss at Ferris State last night. Parker Saretsky scored the Huskies’ only goal. Blake Pietila made 23 saves. MTU will face the US National Development Team today in an exhibition contest in Plymouth.
AJ Vanderbeck’s goal with 15 seconds remaining in the game gave Northern Michigan a 3-2 victory at Colgate last night. Those teams face off again today.
The Red Wings skated past the Maple Leafs 4-2 in preseason play last night. After spotting Toronto a 2-0 lead, the Wings got two goals from Tyler Bertuzzi, and single tallies from Elmer Soderblom and Joe Veleno to power the comeback. Alex Nedeljkovic made 21 saves. Detroit concludes it exhibition season tonight in Toronto. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Pistons continued their preseason campaign with a 107-101 loss to the Pelicans last night. Saddiq Bey scored 23. The Pistons will host the Thunder in an exhibition Tuesday. Listen for selected Pistons games this season on 99.3 The Lift.
The MLB playoffs began yesterday…
• In the American League, the Guardians edged the Rays 2-1, and the Mariners blanked the Blue Jays 4-0.
• In the National League, the Phillies stuffed the Cardinals 6-3, and the Padres pounded the Mets 7-1.
Each of those best-of-three wildcard series continues today.
After one of the weakest offensive seasons in the team’s history, the Detroit Tigers made some coaching changes yesterday. Hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh was released. Catching coach Josh Paul was also released. Third-base and infield coach Ramon Santiago, and assistant hitting coach Mike Hessman have been reassigned to the minor league staff.
Shortstop Willy Adames has been voted the Milwaukee Brewers’ Most Valuable Position Player. Corbin Burnes was voted the team’s Most Valuable Pitcher.
• The Packers play the Giants in London. Kickoff is at 9:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Lions visit the Patriots for a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift.
The Lions have waived kicker Austin Siebert, who had struggled this season, and was dealing with a groin injury. Michael Badgely, whom Detroit signed early this week after he was cut by the Bears, is expected to take over.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Tuesday – Calumet volleyball plays at Negaunee. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.