In the opening game of the high school girls basketball season last night, Calumet clobbered Jeffers 66-26. Marybeth Halonen led the Copper Kings with 19 points. Ceia Kiilunen added 14, and Elli Djerf scored 13. Dayna Johnson had six points for the Jets.
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Houghton visits L’Anse.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell travels to Watersmeet.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City tips off at Baraga.
– Chassell journeys to Ewen-Trout Creek.
– Ontonagon plays at Wakefield-Marenisco.
In boys action last evening…
– L’Anse downed Hancock 52-43.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell smothered Baraga 73-37. Carter Crouch led the Lakes with 19 points.
– Jeffers outscored Bessemer 64-54.
– Chassell’s game at Watersmeet was canceled. No make-up plans have been announced.
– Ewen-Trout Creek defeated Ontonagon 73-59.
In boys play tonight, Houghton travels to Kingsford.
In high school hockey tonight…
– Houghton skates at Kingsford. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet visits Marquette.
Both Finlandia University basketball teams play at Wisconsin-Oshkosh tonight.
Michigan Tech’s Elizabeth Kelleher has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Women’s Basketball Player of the Week. Kelleher scored 28 points in the Huskies’ wins over Saginaw Valley State and Northwood last weekend, and set a new school career record for blocked shots.
The MTU hockey team is back in the national rankings. The Huskies placed 20th in this week’s USCHO.com poll. Tech received no votes in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.
The Detroit Pistons’ five-game win streak ended with a 110-83 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder last night. Blake Griffin scored 20 points. Reggie Bullock left the game after just a few minutes with a sprained ankle. The Pistons visit the Milwaukee Bucks tomorrow night. Pregame coverage begins at 7:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift. The Wings will play the next two games without Tyler Bertuzzi, who has been suspended for punching a Colorado player during an altercation on the bench in Detroit’s loss to the Avalanche on Sunday.
In last night’s NFL contest, Philadelphia defeated Washington 28-13. Washington quarterback Colt McCoy left the game with a broken leg, and will miss the rest of the season. If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 12 games correctly to qualify to be our weekly winner.
Our high school basketball coverage continues Thursday night, when the Houghton boys play at L’Anse. The pregame show will start around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.