Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet completed an unbeaten season in match play with a 3-0 (25-11, 25-9, 25-17) victory over Hancock. Helen Beiring had 20 kills and 11 digs. Allie Bjorn added 10 kills. Carly Loukus had 17 digs, and Laina Karieniemi had 41 assists.
• Houghton got past West Iron County 3-1.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Ironwood 3-1.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City edged Bessemer 3-2.
• Baraga blanked Ontonagon 3-0.
• Ewen-Trout Creek v Watersmeet – no report.
The Copper Country will continue to have a presence on the Michigan High School Athletic Association’s Representative Council. Former Calumet High School athletic director Sean Jacques has been reelected to the organization’s governing board. He’ll represent Class C and Class D schools in the Upper Peninsula.
There will be a local presence on the MHSAA’s Upper Peninsula Athletic Committee, as well. Lake Linden-Hubbell athletic director and varsity girls basketball coach Jack Kumpula was elected to represent Class D schools. West Iron County principal, athletic director and varsity football coach Mike Berutti was elected to represent athletic coaches.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team earned a surprisingly easy 3-0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-12) sweep of Northern Michigan last night. The Huskies never trailed during the match. Meg Raabe led Tech with 17 kills. Lina Espejo-Ramirez recorded 32 assists. Carissa Beyer had 20 digs.
The Finlandia University volleyball team lost to Bay College 3-0 (25-17, 25-15, 25-18). Joslynn Perala had 16 kills and 19 digs for the Lions. The Lions wrap up their season at Northland College tonight.
MTU Kids Day
Saturday is the annual Tadych’s Marketplace Foods Kids Day at Michigan Tech. Tadych’s has purchased 500 youth tickets good for both the football game against Grand Valley Saturday afternoon, and the hockey match against St. Lawrence Friday night. Those tickets will be given away on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at noon today at Tadych’s. Fans are encouraged only to take tickets if they plan to use them.
The Red Wings suffered an ugly 6-2 loss to the Devils last night. Dylan Larkin and Dominik Kubalik scored for Detroit. Alex Nedeljkovic made 35 saves, but allowed all six New Jersey goals.
The Wings visit the Bruins tomorrow. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 6:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Pistons lost to the Wizards 120-99 last evening. Bojan Bogdanovic led Detroit with 25 points. Isaiah Stewart pulled down 10 rebounds.
The Pistons host the Hawks tonight. Coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers have hired Rob Metzler as the team’s vice president and assistant general manager. Metzler has spent the past 15 years with the Rays, with the last seven years as senior director of amateur scouting. He has been praised for developing a promising group of young players.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Friday – Calumet football opens the playoffs at Menominee. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Houghton football opens the playoffs at Negaunee. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Friday – Lake Linden-Hubbell opens the playoffs at Forest Park. Streamed coverage from our sister station WIKB in Iron River will begin around 6:40 at KBear102.com.
- Saturday – Finlandia University football hosts Westminster. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and results to email@example.com.