In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet completed an undefeated regular season with a 3-0 victory over Marquette.
• Jeffers got past Baraga 3-2. Makenna Harris had nine kills for the Jets.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell, Chassell, L’Anse triangular – no report.
The regular season wraps up this evening, as Baraga plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
The local high school football playoffs open tomorrow…
• In Division Five, Hancock plays at Gladwin. Coverage begins at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift. The Bulldogs are still accepting donations to help cover the cost of the trip. Link to their GoFundMe Page here.
• In Division Six, Houghton plays at Calumet. Coverage begins at 12:40 on KBear 102.3.
• In Division Seven, L’Anse plays at Traverse City Saint Francis.
• In Eight-Player Division Two, Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Forest Park. Coverage begins at 1:40 on 97.7 The Wolf.
This year’s Copper Country Ski Tigers Outdoor Gear Swap will be held tomorrow between 11:30 and 2:30 outdoors, near Chutes and Ladders at Ray Kestner Waterfront Park.
Buy and sell outdoor gear – cross country skis, snow bikes, bikes, camping gear, outdoor clothing, or any other item for the silent sports enthusiast.
Drop off items to be sold tomorrow from 8:30 to 11:15 am. Pick up unsold items and/or checks for sold equipment from 3:00 to 4:00 pm.
In response to Covid-19 concerns, mask use will be enforced and a limited number of people will be allowed in the sale area at any given time.
There is a 15% commission, with a $75 maximum per item, charged on all items sold. All proceeds are used to support the Copper Country Ski Tigers racing teams.
The Husky Alpine Mountain Run will take place tomorrow morning. The 5k and 10k races up and down Mont Ripley will open with packet pickup at 6:30. Running groups will start at 7:00. Proceeds will be split between Mont Ripley and 31 Backpacks. For full details and sign-up information, click here.
Rumors are swirling that A.J. Hinch will be the next manager of the Detroit Tigers. Hinch led the Astros to a World Series title in 2017. He was fired as part of the team’s purge following the sign-stealing scandal that year. He has apologized for his role in the scheme. His one-year suspension from Major League Baseball has concluded. Hinch was a catcher for the Tigers in 2003. Multiple reports say an official announcement could be made as early as today.
Meanwhile, the White Sox are bringing back their former manager, Tony LaRussa. LaRussa is 76 years old. He’s also managed the Athletics, and led the Cardinals to two World Series titles. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2013.
Longtime Milwaukee star Ryan Braun is officially a free agent. The Brewers declined his $15 million option for next season. He will get a $4 million payout. Braun is 37, has been hampered by back problems the last few seasons, and has openly considered retiring. He says he’ll take some time to make a decision.
In last night’s NFL game, the Falcons held off the Panthers 25-17.
On Sunday, the Lions host the Colts in a 1:00 game on 99.3 The Lift.
The Packers entertain the Vikings in a 1:00 contest.
In the Sunday night game, the Cowboys take on the Eagles. On Monday night, the Buccaneers face the Giants. Hear both broadcasts on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.