Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In high school volleyball last night…
• In a battle of the two top-ranked teams in the U.P., Calumet dropped the first set to Kingsford, then battled back to claim a narrow 3-1 (19-25, 25-21, 26-24, 25-19) victory. Allie Bjorn had 14 kills, 7 blocks and 14 digs. Sienna Anderson had 9 kills. Laina Kareniemi recorded 42 assists and 15 digs. Maddie Torola had nine kills, 13 digs and three blocks. Jackie Kiilunen had 24 digs and three kills. Caitlyn Strom had 12 kills and 21 digs.
• Houghton also dropped the first set, but came back to beat Ishpeming 3-1 (22-25, 25-16, 25-19, 25-14). Brynn Arko had 10 kills, six aces and 13 digs. Danica Ryynanen had six kills and six blocks. Clea Ollanketo had 20 digs.
• Hancock defeated Negaunee 3-1 (16-25, 25-19, 25-20, 25-15).
• Jeffers stopped Ironwood 3-1.
• Ontonagon defeated Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-1.
• Chassell got past Watersmeet 3-1 (25-7, 13-25, 25-17, 25-20). For the Panthers, Kylee Sohlden had seven kills, four aces and seven digs. Gracie Moyle had 11 assists. Dusty Lippold and Megan Holombo each had two aces.
• L’Anse lost to Wakefield-Marenisco 3-0 (25-20, 25-9, 25-13). Mylee Londo had four kills.
• Baraga defeated Ewen-Trout Creek 3-1.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team fell to Northern Michigan 3-0 (25-27, 24-26, 25-19) in three close sets last night. Meg Raabe matched a season-high with 13 kills for the Huskies, and Lindy Oujiri finished with 11. Tess Hayes had 27 assists and 14 digs.
The Red Wings opened their exhibition campaign with a 4-3 victory over the Penguins last night. Michael Rasmussen scored the game-winner in the third period. Alex DeBrincat had two assists. Detroit outshot Pittsburgh 33-22.
The Wings will visit the Capitals tomorrow evening. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers came from behind to down the Royals 6-3 last night. Trailing 2-0 in the bottom of the sixth, Spencer Torkelson’s two-run double tied the contest. Back-to-back homers by Akil Baddoo and Parker Meadows in the eighth gave Detroit the lead. Reese Olson pitched into the sixth, and gave up two runs – one unearned.
The Tigers host the Royals again tonight. Tarik Skubal will start against Jonathan Bowlan. Coverage will start at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers clinched the National League Central Division title last night, despite losing 4-1 to the Cardinals. Adrian Houser gave up all four Saint Louis runs over five innings, and took the loss.
The Brewers entertain the Cardinals again this evening. Wade Miley will pitch against Zack Thompson.
The loss didn’t matter, because the Braves overcame a 6-0 deficit to edge the Cubs 7-6, eliminating Chicago from title contention.
High School Sports Broadcasts
- Tomorrow – Volleyball – Hancock at Houghton – because of a programming conflict on 97.7 The Wolf, coverage will begin at 6:10 on KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Football – Houghton at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Tuesday – Volleyball – Calumet at Houghton – 6:10 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.