In high school volleyball last night…
• Calumet swept Houghton 3-0 (25-21, 25-12, 25-16).
• Ewen-Trout Creek blanked Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-0.
• Chassell defeated Watersmeet 3-2.
On the volleyball schedule tonight…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell plays at Hancock.
• L’Anse travels to Bessemer.
• Baraga hosts Ironwood.
• Chassell welcomes Ontonagon.
• Jeffers journeys to Watersmeet.
Michigan Tech’s Olivia Ghormley has been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Volleyball Player of the Week. Ghormley set a new school career record for kills, as the Huskies swept their three games at the Midwest Crossover last weekend.
After sweeping 16th-ranked Lewis on Friday and 17th-ranked Hillsdale Saturday, the Huskies have risen to number-20 in this week’s AVCA Division II Coaches Poll.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team plays at Ripon College tonight.
The Michigan Tech hockey team is ranked 18th in this week’s USCHO.com poll. The Huskies dropped two slots, after losses last weekend to Notre Dame and the USA Hockey National Team.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight. Coverage begins at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons open the regular season tomorrow night at home against the Chicago Bulls. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Kyle Schwarber’s grand slam powered the Boston Red Sox past the Houston Astros 12-3 last night. Boston leads the American League Championship Series 2-1, with game four in Boston tonight.
The National League Championship series resumes this evening, as the Los Angeles Dodgers host the Atlanta Braves. Atlanta leads that set 2-0.
In the NFL last night…
• Derrick Henry’s third touchdown of the night, with three minutes remaining, gave the Tennessee Titans a 34-31 victory over the Buffalo Bills. A late Buffalo drive ended at the Tennessee one yard line, where the Bills went for the touchdown on fourth down, instead of kicking a field goal to force overtime. Josh Allen was stopped short on a quarterback sneak to seal the win for the Titans.
If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 11 games correctly to be eligible to become our weekly winner.
The schedule is set for next week’s USA Hockey Officiating Seminars. The extra sessions have been added because of a severe shortage of officials at all levels. Leaders of the youth hockey organizations in the area caution that, if more officials aren’t found, some games will need to be canceled. If you’d like to help, sign up for next week’s sessions.
USA Hockey Officiating Seminar For Levels 1, 2, and 3
Where: Calumet Colosseum
• Level 1 and First year officials – Classroom Sessions Monday and Tuesday, October 25th and 26th, at 6:00 pm in the Calumet Colosseum Ballroom. Sessions will end around 9:00 each night.
• Level 2 and 3 Classroom Session – Thursday, October 30 at 6:00 pm in the Calumet Colosseum Ballroom, ending around 9:30.
• Level 1 and 2 Ice Session – Monday, November 1 at 6:30 pm – skates, whistle, helmet mandatory. Done by 7:30 pm
Attendance at all sessions for your level is required by USA Hockey. A pen or pencil and paper to take notes will be helpful at the classroom session.
To sign up:
• First, sign up as an official at USAHockey.com.
• Then sign up for the Calumet Seminar. Search for it at usahockey.com/officialseminars. The District is “MI”
If you have questions, contact Marc Norton by email at email@example.com or call 337-1300 during normal business hours or 370-1300 evenings.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Friday, October 22nd – Houghton at Gwinn football – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday, October 22nd – L’Anse at Calumet football – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Friday, October 22nd – Lake Linden-Hubbell at Ontonagon football – 6:40 pregame on 99.3 The Lift.
• Sunday, October 24th – Wisconsin-Platteville at Finlandia women’s soccer – 2:10 pregame on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.