The Chicago White Sox scored five runs in the seventh inning, and defeated the Detroit Tigers 7-3 last night. Jordan Zimmermann gave up just two runs over the first six innings, but was charged with three more before leaving in the seventh, and took the loss. All three Detroit runs came on solo homers, by Niko Goodrum, Josh Harrison and Grayson Greiner – his first in the major leagues.
The Tigers have lost seven of their last nine games, and host the White Sox again this afternoon. Daniel Norris will start against Ervin Santana. Coverage will begin at 12:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Enrique Hernández’ three-run homer off Josh Hader in the eighth inning lifted the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 5-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers last night. Christian Yelich hit his 11th home run of the season for Milwaukee, and Eric Thames also hit one out.
The Brewers host the Dodgers again tonight. Chase Anderson will pitch against Hyun-Jin Ryu.
In the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs last night…
– The Toronto Maple Leafs got past the Boston Bruins 2-1. The Leafs lead that series 3-2.
– The Colorado Avalanche eliminated the Calgary Flames with a 5-1 victory. Colorado claimed that series 4-1.
On tonight’s schedule…
– The Dallas Stars visit the Nashville Predators. That series is tied 2-2.
– The Saint Louis Blues host the Winnipeg Jets. Saint Louis is up 3-2 in that series.
– The Carolina Hurricanes visit the Washington Capitols. That set is tied 2-2.
The rumors that began spreading yesterday morning were confirmed yesterday afternoon, when Steve Yzerman was introduced as the new general manager of the Detroit Red Wings. Yzerman, known as “The Captain” during his Hall of Fame career in Detroit, now becomes “The General,” after eight successful years as GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Current GM Ken Holland will become the team’s senior vice-president. Yzerman said yesterday that Jeff Blashill will remain the team’s head coach.
In NBA opening-round playoff action last night…
– The Toronto Raptors edged the Orlando Magic 98-93. Toronto leads that series 2-1.
– The Boston Celtics downed the Indiana Pacers 104-96. Boston leads that series 3-0.
– The Oklahoma City Thunder outscored the Portland Trail Blazers 120-108. Portland holds a 2-1 lead in that set.
On the schedule today…
– The Detroit Pistons host the Milwaukee Bucks. Milwaukee leads that series 2-0. Pregame coverage begins at 7:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
– The Brooklyn Nets entertain the Philadelphia 76ers. Philly leads that set 2-1.
– The Denver Nuggets visit the San Antonio Spurs. San Antonio holds a 2-1 lead in that series.
– The Houston Rockets play the Jazz in Utah. Houston is up 2-0 in that set.
The Finlandia University baseball team was shellacked at Wisconsin-Whitewater yesterday, losing 22-0 and 10-0. The Lions got only two hits in each game. Those teams play in Whitewater again this afternoon.
The FinnU softball doubleheader today at Maranatha Baptist has been canceled.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team has added a new recruit. Hunter Nagy is a defender from Surprise, Arizona.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.