Click on the highlighted scores for more details.
The Tigers split their doubleheader against the Guardians yesterday.
Detroit dropped the opener 4-1. The Tigers scored their only run in the first inning, and collected just three hits. Drew Hutchison pitched into the sixth, and gave up seven hits, but just one run. Will Vest took the loss.
In the nightcap, Detroit came from behind to claim a 7-5 victory. Bryan Garcia gave up three runs in the third on a couple of home runs, but hung in through six to earn the win. Detroit got one in the second on a Tucker Barnhardt single. They added two in the fifth, and took the lead with back-to-back solo homers by Jonathan Schoop and Kerry Carpenter in the sixth. Two more runs in the eighth provided the margin of victory.
The Tigers visit the Guardians again tonight. Garrett Hill will start against Zach Plesac. Coverage begins at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
It was Carpenter’s first major league home run after mashing 30 in the minors this season. He added a double and a single for his first major league multi-hit game.
The Brewers got just four hits in a 4-0 loss to the Dodgers last evening. Freddy Peralta gave up one run, but lasted just four innings, and took the loss.
The Brewers host the Dodgers again tonight. Brandon Woodruff will pitch against Ryan Pepiot.
The Copper Country Twilight Baseball League tournament opens tonight, as Northern Driveline takes on Craig Heinonen Coldwell Banker in a play-in game at the Hancock Driving Park.
The Copper Country Horseshoe League tournament began last evening.
In the one-through-eight seed playoffs…
• Calumet One defeated Bucko’s Party Store.
• Harter’s Party Store defeated Dreamland Two.
• L and L defeated Rocky’s Bar.
• Dreamland One defeated 41 Lumber.
• Calumet One will face Harter’s Party Store.
• Dreamland One will play L and L.
• 41 Lumber will take on Rocky’s Bar.
• Dreamland Two will face Bucko’s Party Store.
In the nine-through-12 seed event…
• Drift Inn defeated Calumet Electronics.
• Ahmeek Fire Department defeated Loading Zone.
That event will continue next Monday…
• Drift Inn will play Ahmeek Fire Department.
• Calumet Electronics will face Loading Zone.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.