Nicholas Castellanos’ home run in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted the Detroit Tigers to a badly-needed 4-3 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays yesterday. Detroit took a 3-1 lead into the ninth inning, thanks to seven solid innings from starter Tyler Alexander, who gave up just three hits. The Jays tied it with a two-run homer off Shane Greene. Nick Ramirez pitched a scoreless 10th to earn the win. JaCoby Jones also homered.
The Tigers have today off, and host the Philadelphia Phillies in a quick interleague set beginning tomorrow. Matthew Boyd will pitch against Aaron Nola. Pregame coverage will start at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers broke open a tie game with three runs in the eighth inning, and defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-4 yesterday. Brandon Woodruff struggled through three innings, giving up four runs. He left early in the fourth with abdominal discomfort. He was diagnosed with an oblique strain, and is headed to the injured list. Five relievers shut down the D-backs over the final six innings, with Freddy Peralta getting the win. Tyler Saladino hit his first home run of the season for Milwaukee.
The Brewers host the Cincinnati Reds tonight. Chase Anderson will start against Sonny Gray.
Woodruff will undergo an MRI this morning, to determine how severe the injury is.
Fast Pitch Softball
The Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball League will wrap up its regular season tonight, as Superior National Bank meets Crush/Diamond House/Baby E’s in a double header at Bone Yard.
The Fast Pitch League tournament will be held Saturday, and we will broadcast the games on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play this evening…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Luigi’s takes on Pat’s Foods/Bucko’s at 6:15, and Harter’s Carquest at 7:30.
– At Hurontown, Bucko’s/Labatt’s meets Downtowner Two at 6:15
– At the Hancock Driving Park, Coca Cola/Monte Carlo faces McGann’s/Northern Auto at 6:15, and Auto Pro/ThermoAnalytics at 7:30.
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play tonight…
– At the Dreamland Bar, 41 Lumber faces Calumet One.
– At the Drift Inn, Dreamland Two meets Harter’s Party Store.
– At Rocky’s Bar, Rocky’s will host Drift Inn.
– At Ahmeek Park, L and L will play Calumet Electronics.
– At the Calumet Dam, Dreamland One faces Ahmeek Fire Department.
– At Lake Linden Park, Loading Zone takes on Bucko’s Party Store.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.