Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
In boys’ high school basketball, the tie continues atop the Copper Country Conference…
– Unbeaten Lake Linden-Hubbell dismantled Ontonagon 80-33.
– Republic-Michigamme remained unbeaten with a 70-46 victory over Dollar Bay.
In other games…
– Houghton opened up a 17-point halftime lead, and cruised past West Iron County 63-35.
– Hancock slipped past Jeffers 41-37.
– Baraga edged Calumet 42-41.
– Ewen-Trout Creek dumped Drummond 63-33.
In girls’ action last night…
– L’Anse fell to Ishpeming 65-31.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell got past Baraga 29-21.
On the girls’ schedule tonight…
– Unbeaten Calumet plays at Houghton in a battle for first place in the WestPAC. Our pregame coverage begins around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Dollar Bay plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
– Hancock travels to Ontonagon.
– Jeffers tips off at Chassell.
– L’Anse entertains Negaunee.
– Ewen-Trout Creek plays at West Iron County.
– The Republic-Michigamme game at Baraga has been postponed because of the death of Hawks’ coach Matthew Davidson in a traffic accident over the weekend. No make-up date has been announced.
Finlandia Men Fall
The Finlandia men’s basketball team lost at Clarke University 75-59 last night. The Lions trailed by just five points at halftime, but the Crusaders used a 21-6 run midway through the second half to put the game away. Brandon Robinson led Finlandia with 17 points, and Brandon Robinette added 16.
NHL – Red Wings Host Wild
The Red Wings host Minnesota tonight. Faceoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Lose to Hawks
The Pistons got off to a cold start, and lost a 93-82 Martin Luther King Day matinee to the Hawks yesterday. Detroit scored only 12 points in the first quarter. Greg Monroe led the Pistons with 16 points and 20 rebounds. Detroit will host Orlando tomorrow night. Tip-off is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
Packers Added to Pro Bowl Team
Green Bay Packers receiver Randall Cobb and cornerback Sam Shields have been added to the Pro Bowl roster. Cobb replaces injured Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant. Shields fills in for Patriots corner Darrelle Revis, who is playing in the Super Bowl.
Over the weekend, Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and receiver Golden Tate were also added to the Pro Bowl roster.
Dominic Raiola has been told by the Lions that he won’t be back next season. Raiola has been Detroit’s starting center for most of the past 14 seasons. During that span, he missed only four games because of injury. He also missed game 17 of this season because of a suspension.
MLB – Gallardo to Rangers
The Brewers have trade starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo to the Texas Rangers. Gallardo will be a free agent at the end of this season, and Milwaukee General Manager Doug Melvin said he doubted the team would be able to afford him. In exchange, the Brewers get former Tigers’ reliever Corey Knebel, shortstop Luis Sardinas, and pitching prospect Marcos Diplan. Jimmy Nelson is expected to take Gallardo’s place in the rotation.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tonight, as the Calumet girls play at Houghton. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Hear the Super Bowl a week from Sunday on the Keweenaw’s voice of the NFL playoffs, AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.