Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In girls basketball last night…
– Houghton downed Hancock 46-34.
– Chassell overwhelmed Calumet 80-58. Milly Allen scored 30 for the Panthers, and Sydney Danison added 23.
– Jeffers defeated Lake Linden-Hubbell 46-31. Dana Kinnunen led the Jets with 12 points. Erin Seppala scored eight for the Lakes.
– The L’Anse-Ontonagon contest was postponed, and will be made up February 2nd.
– The Republic-Michigamme game at Ewen-Trout Creek was postponed, and will be made up as part of a boys-girls doubleheader February 13th.
– Baraga’s game at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City was postponed – no make-up date has been announced.
Tonight, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City entertains Bessemer.
Last night’s Baraga v Wakefield-Marenisco boys game was postponed, and will be played tomorrow night.
On the boys schedule tonight…
– Houghton travels to Ontonagon.
– Hancock hosts West Iron County.
– Calumet welcomes Jeffers.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell journeys to Ewen-Trout Creek.
– L’Anse tips off at Chassell in a game that was rescheduled from January 11th.
The upcoming game between the highly-ranked Dollar Bay and Ewen-Trout Creek boys teams will be played at the SDC. The date has been moved from Tuesday, February 6th, to Wednesday, February 7th. School officials have confirmed that the JV contest will start at 5:45, and the varsity game at 7:15 at the Wood gym. Tickets will cost $5.00. The game will be broadcast on KBear 102 and KBear102.com.
In high school hockey tonight…
– Houghton skates at Kingsford.
– Calumet travels to Negaunee.
Hancock high school standout Teddy Randell will continue his hockey career next season in the North American Hockey League. Randell has signed a contract with the Lone Star Brahmas, who are based in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball team entertains Lawrence University tonight. Tip-off is at 6:30 at the Paavo Nurmi Center.
Both Northern Michigan University basketball teams defeated Davenport University yesterday – the women 67-55, and the men 91-82.
Petr Mrazek made 37 saves as the Detroit Red Wings blanked the New Jersey Devils 3-0 last night. Tyler Bertuzzi, David Booth and Dylan Larkin scored for Detroit, and Andreas Athanasiou had two assists. The Wings host the Philadelphia Flyers tonight. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons entertain the Utah Jazz tomorrow night. Tip-off is at 7:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
With Minnesota out of the playoffs, the New York Giants have confirmed their hiring of former Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmer as their new head coach. The Giants had also been interested in New England defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, who is widely believed to be in line for the Detroit Lions’ head coaching job. No announcement about Patricia’s future can be made until after the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the Lions and quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan have agreed to part ways after two seasons.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tomorrow, when the Hancock boys play at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City. The pregame show will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.