Click on the blue links for more details.
In high school volleyball last night…
– Jeffers defeated Ontonagon 3-1 (25-22, 21-25, 25-22, 25-16). Lilly Turner had seven aces for the Jets.
– Ewen-Trout Creek v Dollar Bay-Tamarack City – not reported.
In volleyball tonight…
– Houghton plays at Calumet.
– Hancock visits Lake Linden-Hubbell.
– Chassell welcomes Ontonagon.
– Jeffers hosts Watersmeet.
In cross country, the WestPAC cross country meet will be run today. It was postponed from October 11th because of bad weather.
At the Dennis Massoglia Memorial 8th Grade Girls Championship Basketball Tournament in Calumet yesterday…
– In the first Division Two semi-final, Chassell defeated Jeffers 28-20. Megan Rantamaki was the high scorer for Chassell with 12 points. In the other D2 semi-final, Ontonagon downed L’Anse 42-18. Chloe Hoffstrom scored 14 for Ontonagon. Chassell will face Ontonagon for the D2 championship today at 5:00 in Calumet.
– In Division One, the unbeaten Hancock Bulldogs defeated Houghton by a score of 36-31. Isabella Hebert led Hancock with 21 points. Rachel Bigelow scored 10 for Houghton. Baraga beat Calumet 35-17. Cori Jahfetson of the Vikings led all scorers with 23 points. Hancock will face Baraga in the D1 championship game on tonight at 6:30.
The Finlandia University volleyball team visits Ashland for matches against Northland College and North Central University today.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team has edged up to 24th in the nation in the latest Division Two American Volleyball Coaches’ Association poll.
Two Huskies have been honored by the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Goalkeeper Amanda Young has been named the league’s soccer Defensive Player of the Week. Kicker Eric Zeboor has been named the football Special Teams Player of the Week, after kicking three field goals and two extra points in Tech’s victory over Wayne State.
The Milwaukee Brewers blanked the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-0 in game three of the National League Championship series last night. Jhoulys Chacín and four relievers held L-A to just five hits. Orlando Arcia hit a two-run homer. Milwaukee leads the series two games to one. Game four will be played in Los Angeles tonight. Gio Gonzalez will start against Rich Hill.
The American League Championship Series between the Red Sox and Astros is tied at one win per team, and continues this afternoon in Houston.
The Detroit Red Wings suffered another lopsided loss last night, falling 7-3 to the Montreal Canadiens. Andreas Athanasiou scored twice for Detroit, and Thomas Vanek also found the net. Jimmy Howard gave up five goals on 20 shots over the first 25 minutes of the game. He was relieved by Jonathan Bernier. The Wings are winless in their first six games, and will skate at Tampa Bay Thursday. Because of NFL football, pregame coverage will begin at 7:10 on KBear 102.3.
In last night’s NFL game, the Green Bay Packers mounted a dramatic late comeback to edge the San Francisco 49ers 33-30. Down by seven late in the game, Aaron Rodgers capped a 58-yard drive with a touchdown pass to Davante Adams with two minutes to go. Kevin King then intercepted a C.J. Beathard pass, and the Pack drove 81 yards in the final 67 seconds to set up a game-winning field goal by Mason Crosby. After missing five kicks the previous week, Crosby was perfect last night, with four field goals and three extra points. If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 12 games correctly to be eligible to win our weekly prize.
Our regular high school football season coverage wraps up Friday. Calumet hopes to complete an unbeaten season at L’Anse. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Hancock visits Houghton for the Copper Bowl game. The pregame show will start at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift and TheLift.com.
Our Finlandia University football coverage continues Saturday, as the Lions entertain Trine University. Our pregame show will begin at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift and TheLift.com.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.