Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Houghton scored three goals in the final four minutes, and came from behind to edge Kingsford 4-3.
– The Calumet game at Negaunee was postponed to February 14th.
In girls basketball last night, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City fell to Bessemer 49-37.
In girls play tonight, Calumet visits Marquette, for a game that was rescheduled from the Christmas break.
On the boys schedule last night…
– Ontonagon got past Houghton 59-53.
– Calumet stopped Jeffers 62-41. Matt Ojala scored 28 for the Copper Kings.
– Ewen-Trout Creek outscored Lake Linden-Hubbell 68-43. Jake Witt had 30 points and 14 rebounds.
– Chassell buried L’Anse 78-43.
– The Hancock-West Iron County game was postponed to January 31st.
In boys action tonight…
– Hancock plays at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City in a game that was rescheduled from January 11th. Our pregame coverage will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Baraga entertains Wakefield-Marenisco to make up a game that was snowed out on Monday.
Julia Daavettila scored 32 points, as the Finlandia University women’s basketball team defeated Lawrence University 78-54 last night. The Dollar Bay senior hit all nine of her free throws, and grabbed nine rebounds. Hancock’s Molly Berg added 18 points, and Houghton’s Kelsie Richards chipped in 13 points and collected 14 rebounds.
Finlandia is gaining a regional opponent in its major athletic conference. Mount Mary University in Milwaukee will join the American Collegiate Athletic Conference next fall for women’s sports. Mount Mary’s undergraduate program is only open to women. The ACAA also includes teams in New York, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and California.
Kyle Monroe of the Michigan Tech men’s basketball team has again been named the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Player of the Week. It’s the third time this season he’s been honored. Monroe scored 34 points in the Huskies’ win over Wayne State last week.
The Detroit Red Wings fell to the Philadelphia Flyers 3-2 in overtime last night. Jonathon Ericsson and Frans Nielsen scored for Detroit. Petr Mrazek stopped 28 shots in net. The Wings host the Chicago Blackhawks tomorrow night. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
Luke Glendening was back on the ice for Detroit last night, after missing a month with a wrist injury. Joe Hicketts and Dominic Turgeon were sent back to Grand Rapids yesterday.
The Detroit Pistons entertain the Utah Jazz tonight. Tip-off is at 7:00 on 99.3 The Lift.
Eyebrows were raised around basketball circles yesterday when the reserves were named for the NBA All-Star game and Detroit’s Andre Drummond was not included. Drummond leads the league in rebounds.
The Detroit Tigers have reportedly signed utility player Alexi Amarista to a minor league contract. Amarista hit .238 as a reserve for the Colorado Rockies last season, and was a three-year starter for the San Diego Padres before that. He can play all the infield and outfield positions, and has even pitched a time or two.
Snowboarder Nick Baumgartner is headed back to the Olympics. The Iron River native announced yesterday that he has been selected to the U-S team that will compete next month in South Korea. It will be his third Olympiad.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.