MLB: Davis’ Walk-Off Slam Lifts Tigers
Rajai Davis’ grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the Tigers to a 5-4 victory over the Athletics last night. The game had started as a pitching duel… and was tied at one when Oakland broke through for three runs off Anibal Sanchez and Joba Chamberlain in the eighth inning. In the ninth, Nick Castellanos and Alex Avila singled… Austin Jackson drew a walk to load the bases… and Davis ended it with his third career grand slam.
The Tigers host the Athletics again tonight. Rick Porcello will face Brad Mills. Hear the first pitch at 7:08 on AM 1400, WCCY.
Kansas City also won… so Detroit’s lead over the Royals in the American League Central holds at three-and-a-half games.
Victor Martinez sat out last night’s game with a sore back. He’s considered day-to-day.
The Cardinals were also idle yesterday, and the Reds lost… so Milwaukee’s lead in the National League Central is six-and-a-half games over Saint Louis, and seven games over Cincinnati.
Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Slow Pitch Softball League play last night…
– At Miller Memorial Field in Laurium, Post 90/Lakes Lounge trounced Pat’s Foods/ThermoAnalytics 27-6. Brien Ricci had five hits for Post 90. The score of the game between Pat’s and The Goal Post was not reported.
– At Hurontown, Auto Value shut down Coca Cola/Miller’s Recreation 16-5. Alex Loukus got the complete-game win for Auto Value, and Stewart Krumm had four hits.
– At the Hancock Driving Park, McGann’s/Northern Auto got past North Pointe Trucking 13-11. Kip Macyntire had four hits for McGann’s, and Jeff Aho homered for North Pointe. The result of the game between Nutini’s and The Marley Bar was not submitted.
Copper Country Twilight League
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball tonight…
– Pat’s Foods takes on the Stanton Wildcats at the Stanton Field.
– Mosquito Inn meets Wolverine-Orbit at the Wolverine Field.
Copper Country Horseshoe League
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last night…
– Calumet One blanked No Name 9-0.
– Out Of The Norm Tattoo shut out Dreamland 9-0.
– L and L shut down Borings Bargain Barn 8-1.
– Ahmeek Fire Department stopped Gasoline Alley 7-2.
– North End One defeated Loading Zone 7-2.
– Calumet Two got past Drift Inn 5-4.
Pistons Make Offer to Monroe
The Detroit Pistons have extended a 5.5-million dollar qualifying offer to Greg Monroe. Monroe is scheduled to become a restricted free agent next week. The qualifying offer means Detroit would be able to match any other offer he receives. The Pistons also announced that they will not pick up the option on Chauncey Billups’ contract. The veteran guard missed most of last season with a knee injury.