Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In the high school volleyball tournament last night…
• In Division Four, District 98, Jeffers blanked Chassell 3-0. Chloe Turner led the Jets with 8 aces and Kaeda Rajala had 7 kills. Dollar Bay-Tamarack City slipped past Baraga 3-2. The Jets and Blue Bolts will play for the district crown tomorrow at 7:00 at Jeffers. (NOTE: The MHSAA website has the game at Dollar Bay, but Jeffers Athletic Director Steve Lishinski tells us the Jets will host).
• In Division Four District 97, Ewen-Trout Creek dispatched Wakefield-Marenisco 3-1. Ironwood eliminated Ontonagon 3-0. The Panthers and Red Devils will play for the district title tonight at 7:00 at Ontonagon.
• In Division Three, Hancock downed Ishpeming 3-0. Calumet cruised past Westwood 3-0 (25-9, 25-11, 25-8). The Copper Kings will host the Bulldogs for the district title tonight at 6:00. Coverage will begin at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• In Division Two, Houghton dropped the first two sets to Escanaba, salvaged the third set 26-24, then took the last two sets to claim a 3-2 victory. The Gremlins will play for the district title at Kingsford tonight at 7:00 Eastern Time. The Flivvers eliminated Negaunee 3-1. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
The Keweenaw Volleyball Club is hosting tryouts for a travel middle school volleyball team Sunday from 4:00-6:00, and Monday from 6:30-8:30 at Hancock High School. Players from any western UP community are welcome. The team will practice on Sunday evenings from November through March, and play in one tournament per month in January, February and March. You can register and get more information on the Keweenaw Volleyball Club Facebook page, or show up at the Hancock gym before 3:30 Sunday.
Former Calumet High School hockey standout Tanner Rowe has changed his NCAA hockey commitment from the University of Massachusetts to the University of Michigan. The announcement was made by Rowe’s current team, the Omaha Lancers of the United States Hockey League.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team faces the University of Mary Washington in the quarterfinals of the Coast to Coast Athletic Conference tournament tonight. The Lions are seeded sixth, and the Eagles third. The tournament is being held at Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia.
Two Lions were honored as the all-conference team was announced yesterday. Addie Budzinski was named the Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Daisia Knowles made the all-conference first team, while Budzinski was placed on the second team.
The Michigan Tech women’s team fell 68-64 at Wisconsin-Green Bay in an exhibition game last night. Ellie Mackay scored 20 points.
The Tech men’s team plays an exhibition at Wisconsin-Green Bay this evening.
The Red Wings entertain the Capitals tonight. Because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift, Wings coverage will begin at 6:45 on KBear 102.3.
The Pistons lost to the Bucks 116-91 last night. Saddiq Bey led Detroit with 22 points.
The Pistons host the Cavaliers tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
In the World Series last night, four Astros pitchers no-hit the Phillies 5-0. It was only the second no-hitter in series history, joining Don Larson’s perfect game for the Yankees in 1956. The Fall Classic is tied 2-2, with game five tonight in Philadelphia.
Tigers’ reliever Andrew Chafin says he’ll decline his contract option to stay with Detroit next season, and become a free agent. Yesterday, Detroit claimed the Tigers claimed reliever Sean Guenther off waivers from the Miami Marlins. Guenther is rehabbing from Tommy John ligament replacement surgery last April.
In tonight’s game, the Eagles visit the Texans. Kickoff is at 8:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Houghton volleyball plays for a district title at Kingsford tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
- Calumet volleyball hosts Hancock in a district title match tonight. Coverage starts at 5:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and results to firstname.lastname@example.org.