In high school hockey Saturday…
– Calumet defeated Brother Rice 5-3. The Warriors dominated the early going, and built a 2-0 lead late in the second period. The Copper Kings responded with three quick goals by Tanner Rowe, Alex Mattila and Gabe Coppo in the closing four minutes of the second frame. Coppo’s second goal of the night with 2:18 to go in the game increased the lead. Brother Rice got one back six seconds later, but Dean Loukus’ late empty netter sealed the win. Alex Studebaker made 34 saves, as the top-ranked team in the state in Division Three upended the top-ranked team in Division Two.
– Houghton downed Bay Port 5-2. The Gremlins got two goals from Matthew Halonen, and one each from Brandon Norkol, Carson Stevens and Tucker Tapani. Tapani had three assists. Matthew Ryynonen stopped 28 shots.
– At the Merrill Tournament, Jeffers lost to Rhinelander 5-1 on Friday. The Jets skated to a 0-0 tie in regulation in the consolation match Saturday against Merrill, then lost a shootout 2-1.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
The Michigan Tech hockey team skated to a 1-1 tie at Bemidji State University Saturday night. Bemidji claimed the extra WCHA standings point the 3-on-3 double overtime period. Alec Broetzman scored Tech’s only goal. Matt Jurusik made 18 saves.
The Northern Michigan University hockey squad fell 3-1 to top-ranked Cornell Saturday night.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team suffered an 80-73 overtime loss to Ferris State University Saturday. Abbie Botz led the Huskies with 17 points.
The Tech men’s team stunned the eighth-ranked Bulldogs 102-90. Kyle Monroe scored 28 for the Huskies, and Dawson Bilski added 21.
Connor Hannon netted the game-winner in overtime, as the Finlandia University men’s hockey team edged Trine University 3-2 Saturday. The Lions opened up an early lead with goals by Cale Markham and Tyler Vanuden. The Thunder forced overtime with a goal late in the third period. Marcus Gloss made 29 saves.
The Lions women’s hockey team lost 9-0 at Lake Forest Saturday. After being outshot 85-19 in Friday’s game, the Lions were outshot 63-14 Saturday.
The Detroit Red Wings lost 4-1 to the Florida Panthers Saturday night. Dylan Larkin netted Detroit’s only goal. Jimmy Howard stopped 34 shots.
The Wings host the Colorado Avalanche in a Martin Luther King Jr. Day matinee tomorrow. Coverage begins at 2:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons ripped the Atlanta Hawks 136-103 Saturday evening. Derrick Rose led Detroit with 27 points. Svi Mykhailiuk added 25 – a new career best.
The Pistons visit the Washington Wizards for an MLK Day matinee tomorrow.
In the NFL conference championship games today…
– The Kansas City Chiefs host the Tennessee Titans at 3:05.
– The Green Bay Packers visit the San Francisco 49ers at 6:40.
Hear both conference title games and the Super Bowl on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.