Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Houghton mercied Negaunee 9-0.
– Hancock routed Kingsford 7-1. Alex Nordstrom scored four times for the Bulldogs. Colton Salani, Austin Salani and Bryce Randell also found the net.
In boys basketball last night, Dollar Bay-Tamarack City pounded Watersmeet 83-33. Jaden Janke scored 17 for the Blue Bolts.
On the boys schedule tonight, Houghton hosts Gwinn.
In girls action last night…
– Houghton overwhelmed Jeffers 65-28. Harlee Froberg scored 24 for the Gremlins. Cassie Ryynanen added 16, and Kara Pietila 15.
– Hancock edged L’Anse 42-40. Taylor Sebbas had 20 points and 12 rebounds for the Bulldogs.
– Calumet held Ontonagon scoreless in the first quarter, on the way to a 45-31 victory.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Bessemer 48-39. Laura Lyons led the Lakes with 13 points, and Erin Seppala added 10.
– Baraga smothered Republic-Michigamme 40-16.
– Chassell dominated Ewen-Trout Creek 62-35. Milly Allen scored 14 points for Chassell, and Sydney Danison had 13 points and 11 rebounds.
Both Finlandia University basketball teams host St. Scholastica tonight. The men’s game tips off at 5:30, followed by the women’s contest at 7:30. Our pregame show will start at 5:10 on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Brooklyn Nets tonight.
The Detroit Red Wings are off until Saturday, when they play at Pittsburgh. Pregame will begin at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift. Jimmy Howard’s lower body injury is apparently worse than first believed, so former Northern Michigan University goalie Jared Coreau has been called up from Grand Rapids.
ESPN is reporting that Mike Pettine will become the Green Bay Packers’ new defensive coordinator. Pettine has been out of football for a couple of years, after spending two seasons as head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Before that, he had been a successful defensive coordinator for the New York Jets and the Buffalo Bills.
Catcher Brayan Peña is back with the Detroit Tigers. Peña was Alex Avila’s backup in the 2013 season. He’s now 36 years old, and was one of a half-dozen minor-league free agent signings announced by the team yesterday.
Winter Trails Day will be celebrated Saturday at the Swedetown Trails between noon and 5:00. Free one-day passes will be offered. Snowshoe and Nordic ski demos and rentals will be provided by Cross Country Sports. Trails club members will be there to suggest trails and provide advice for those new to Swedetown.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tomorrow night, when the Hancock boys play at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City. The pregame show will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.