Fast Pitch Softball
The Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League wraps up its season tonight. Regular season champion Crush/Diamond House/Baby E’s faces Superior National Bank in the tournament title game at 6:30 at the Bone Yard in Lake Linden. Keweenaw Report Sports live coverage begins at 6:15 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Fall sports activities are beginning at our local high schools and middle schools. If you have a child interested in playing, make sure you’re aware of the sign-up procedures and practice schedules.
L’Anse High School will hold its fall registration tonight at the high school gym. Houghton High School will issue equipment to varsity and JV football players tonight at 5:30 at the high school. We published their start-up schedule in Wednesday’s KeweenawReport.com Sports Wrap.
Hancock Central High School’s schedule is as follows:
• Varsity and JV Football – Wednesday, August 4 – 4:00-6:00 pm – Equipment Handout @ Fieldhouse at McAfee Field. Please turn in your completed physical forms at this time. Monday, August 9 – 4:00-7:00 pm – First Practice (Practices will remain in the 4:00-7:00 slot through August). 7:00 pm – compliance meeting at the field (no player will be able to practice without their completed physical form turned in prior to participation).
• Varsity, JV and Freshmen Volleyball – Monday, August 9 – 5:00-9:00 pm – 5:00 pm compliance meeting in the auditorium (all completed physical forms must be turned in prior to participation). 6:00-9:00 pm 1st practice / tryout (practices will remain in the 6:00-9:00 pm slot for the first week).
• Varsity & JV Cross Country – Monday, August 9 – 8:30-10:30 am – 8:30 am compliance meeting (all completed physical forms must be turned in prior to participation). 9:00-10:30 am 1st practice (practices will remain in the 9:00-10:30 slot for the first week).
• Middle School Football and Middle School Girls Basketball – Monday, August 23 – 1st Practice. Information regarding equipment issue for FB and all practice times will come out later during the week of August 9.
The Detroit Tigers earned a split in their four-game set against the Baltimore Orioles with 6-2 victory yesterday. The O’s took a quick lead with two runs off Tyler Alexander in the top of the first inning. Detroit responded with three runs in the bottom of the first – the big blow was a two-run double by Eric Haase. Alexander and four relievers proceeded to hold the Orioles to just two singles for the rest of the game.
The Tigers have today off, and begin a home set against the Boston Red Sox tomorrow night. Wily Peralta will start against Garrett Richards. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers collected just three hits, but edged the Atlanta Braves 2-1 yesterday. Brett Anderson pitched into the sixth, and gave up a run on three hits. The Crew got a first-inning solo home run from Willy Adames. Lorenzo Cain scored the game-winner on a groundout in the fifth.
The Brewers host the Pittsburgh Pirates tonight. Eric Lauer will pitch against Bryse Wilson.
Milwaukee has brought former Tigers pitcher Blaine Hardy up from Nashville to fill one of the roster spots created when Hunter Strickland, Jake Cousins and Jandel Gustave were sidelined by COVID-19 issues.
Detroit Red Wings forwards Jakub Vrana and Adam Erne have filed for salary arbitration. Arbitration hearings will be scheduled later this month. Players and teams can continue contract negotiations until the hearings.
The Copper Country Horseshoe League wraps up its regular season this evening…
• Rocky’s takes on Calumet Electronics at the Dreamland Bar.
• L and L faces Drift Inn at the Drift Inn.
• Ahmeek Fire Department meets Dreamland Two at Rocky’s Bar.
• Dreamland One plays 41 Lumber at the Gipp Recreation Area.
• Harter’s Party Store and Loading Zone meet at Lake Linden Park.
• Calumet One and Bucko’s Party Store play at Calumet Waterworks Park. Six wins by Calumet One would guarantee them the regular-season championship.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.