Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
The boys high school basketball season opened last night.
– Hancock began with a 45-41 victory over Calumet in a game that does not count in the WestPAC standings. Hans Stimac led all scorers with 17 points for the Bulldogs. Matt Ojala tallied 15 for the Copper Kings.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell pounded Baraga 73-34.
– Jeffers cruised past Bessemer 53-39.
– Chassell dispatched Watersmeet 62-45.
– Ewen-Trout Creek downed Ontonagon 62-47.
In girls action tonight…
– Calumet entertains Jeffers.
– Houghton plays at L’Anse.
– Hancock welcomes Bessemer.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell journeys to Watersmeet.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City visits Baraga.
– Chassell tips off at at Ewen-Trout Creek.
– Ontonagon plays at Wakefield-Marenisco.
In high school hockey tonight…
– Calumet plays at Marquette.
– Houghton skates at Kingsford.
Finlandia University is looking for a new head women’s basketball coach. Terry Klemett was dismissed yesterday. No reason was given. Klemett took over the Lions’ women’s team at the start of the 2014 season, after three years as an assistant coach for the Michigan Tech men’s team. He played high school ball for Jeffers. Baseball coach Steve Nordstrom has been named the interim head women’s basketball coach, and former player Marissa Burke will remain with the team as assistant coach.
Five finalists have been announced for the vacant head football coaching position at Northern Michigan University. The list includes Kyle Nystrom, Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ferris State University… Nick Postma, Co-Defensive Coordinator at Grand Valley State University… Shane Richardson, Head Coach at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, and a former NMU staff member… Mark Staten, Offensive Line Coach at Michigan State University… and Jason Woodman, head coach at Fairmont State University. All of the candidates will visit Marquette over the next week for private interviews, and public meetings. Learn more about the candidates and the meeting timetables here.
The Calumet Wolverines will host the MTU Wolfpack club team for an exhibition game tonight at the Colosseum. Faceoff is at 7:30
The Detroit Red Wings skate at Winnipeg tonight. Faceoff is at 8:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3, WCCY.
The Detroit Pistons will host the Chicago Bulls this evening.
The Indianapolis Colts routed the New York Jets 41-10 in last night’s NFL game. If you played The Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 11 games correctly to be eligible to be our weekly winner.
The Detroit Lions will finish the season without cornerback Quandre Diggs. Diggs suffered an injury to a pectoral muscle in Sunday’s victory over the Saints. Detroit had waived cornerback Jonathan Banks over the weekend, and lost their chance to get him back when he was claimed by the Chicago Bears yesterday.
Our high school hockey coverage continues as Rochester United skates at Calumet Friday evening, and at Houghton Saturday afternoon. Calumet entertains Utica Eisenhower Saturday evening. Hear the games on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.