Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
– Jeffers lost to DePere 5-1.
– L’Anse fell at Ashland 7-2.
In boys’ high school basketball Friday night…
– Calumet edged Jeffers 50-46 in overtime. Jack Hyrkas scored a career-best 31 points for the Copper Kings. Brant Ryynanen scored 12 for the Jets.
– Houghton outscored Ewen-Trout Creek 76-58.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell remained unbeaten, with an 87-60 victory over Ontonagon.
– L’Anse stopped Hancock 61-39. All nine L’Anse players scored, led by Cody Clement with 11 points. Jared Peryam of the Bulldogs scored 19.
– Chassell fell to Republic-Michigamme 62-51.
– Baraga defeated Dollar Bay 55-43.
In girls’ hoops tonight…
– Houghton entertains Marquette.
– Calumet visits Lake Linden-Hubbell.
– Hancock hosts Dollar Bay.
– Jeffers travels to Watersmeet.
– Chassell welcomes Republic-Michigamme.
– L’Anse entertains West Iron County.
– Ewen-Trout Creek plays at Ontonagon.
MTU Sweeps Winter Carnival Series
The fifth-ranked Michigan Tech hockey team opened the annual Winter Carnival series with a 3-1 victory over Bemidji State Friday night. On Saturday, Tanner Kero scored the game-winner in the third period, as the Huskies edged the Beavers 2-1. The win guaranteed home ice advantage in the opening round of the WCHA playoffs for the first time in 22 seasons.
The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team extended its winning streak to 11 games Saturday, with a 57-41 victory at Grand Valley State. The Tech men’s team opened an early lead, and cruised to a 71-60 win over the Lakers.
The Northern Michigan University women’s basketball team scored just 14 points in the first half, then roared back to beat Ferris State 79-74 in overtime Saturday. The men’s team upset the 17th-ranked Bulldogs 73-71.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team couldn’t hold an early lead, and lost 4-2 at Marian University Saturday night. Yesterday, the Lions fell behind early, and lost to the Sabres 6-3. Thomas Malkmus, Andrew Huckleby and Justin Scott scored for Finlandia.
Both Finlandia basketball teams picked up victories over Alfred State College on the opening day of the Rochester Classic in Rochester, Michigan, yesterday. The women’s team got 21 points from Marissa Burke on the way to a 76-65 win. Houghton’s Kelsie Richards added 16, and L’Anse’s Valerie Rajala scored 14. The men’s team turned an 18-point halftime lead into a 95-79 victory. Tyler Koski led the Lions with 27 points, and Eric Lori added 23. Both Lions teams play Rochester College today.
GLHL – Wolverines Short at Mosinee, Monroe
The Calumet Wolverines lost 7-4 at Mosinee Friday night, then fell 10-8 to the Monroe Blues on Saturday. Levi Erkkila scored four goals for Calumet, and Eric Bausano added three. The Portage Lake Pioneers had the weekend off.
NHL – Red Wings Prep for Penguins
The Detroit Red Wings skate at Pittsburgh Wednesday night. Faceoff is at 8:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Lose to Timberwolves
The Pistons fell behind early, and lost to the Timberwolves 112-101 last night. D.J. Augustin scored 20 for Detroit, and Andre Drummond had 17 points and 14 rebounds. The Pistons play at Charlotte tomorrow night. Tip-off is at 7:00 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
Our high school hockey coverage continues tomorrow night, when Hancock entertains Houghton in the annual Wing Ding game. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.