Click on the blue links for more details.
In high school softball yesterday…
– Calumet v Houghton – not reported.
– Hancock v Baraga – not reported.
In softball today…
– Jeffers plays at Calumet.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell travels to L’Anse.
In high school baseball today…
– Hancock visits Calumet.
– Jeffers entertains Gogebic.
– Houghton plays at L’Anse.
Finlandia University has a new head men’s soccer coach. Scott Chrysafidis comes from New England College, where he was assistant head coach, and head JV coach. Chrysafidis replaces Brent Chase, who accepted the head coaching position at Gettysburg College.
Northern Michigan University has introduced this year’s inductees into the NMU Sports Hall of Fame. Inductees will include…
– Dick Allen, running back with the undefeated 1956 football team.
– Tim Jones, a wrestling All-American from the mid-80s.
– John LaPointe, a football team co-captain in the early ’60s, who became a teacher and coach in Manistique.
– Heather (Mizer) Sarnowski, who set school records in volleyball in the late 90s.
– The late Kim (Storm) Ylitalo, a four-time All-American swimmer.
– The 1997-98 Women’s Basketball Team, which reached the NCAA Division II semifinals, and finished with a record of 27-3.
The induction ceremony will take place on September 21st.
Niko Goodrum slugged two home runs, as the Detroit Tigers defeated the Cleveland Indians 6-3 last night. Mike Fiers got the win, giving up a run on three hits over six innings. The victory broke an 11-game losing streak to the Indians that dated back to last July.
The Tigers host the Indians again tonight. Francisco Liriano will start against Josh Tomlin. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers again played without four of their starters. Third baseman Jeimer Candelario is the latest to be added to the disabled list. He’s been battling a sore wrist. An MRI revealed no structural damage, and it’s hoped the injury can be addressed without surgery. The Tigers called up infielder Dawel Lugo from Toledo to fill in.
The Milwaukee Brewers scored five late runs, and defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-2 last night. The Crew broke open a tie game by scoring twice in the seventh. Jonathan Villar and Tyler Saladino homered as they added three more in the ninth. Junior Guerra pitched six strong innings, and earned the win.
The Brewers continue that series at Arizona tonight. Jhoulys Chacin will pitch against Zach Grienke.
In the NHL playoffs, Las Vegas defeated Winnipeg 3-1 last night, to tie the Western Conference finals 1-1.
Tampa Bay skates at Washington tonight. The Capitals lead the Eastern Conference finals 2-0.
In the NBA playoffs, Golden State opened the Western Conference finals with a 119-106 victory over Houston last night.
Cleveland plays at Boston tonight. The Celtics hold a 1-0 lead in the Eastern Conference finals.
The Copper Country Horseshoe League will hold a tournament Saturday at the Dreamland Bar. You do not need to be a league member to take part. The entry fee is $10.00, and all money will be returned in prizes. Registration begins at 11:00, and competition will start at noon. Food will be available.
Our high school baseball coverage continues Thursday, when Houghton plays at Calumet. The pregame show will begin around 3:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports stories and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.