The Detroit Tigers had yesterday off, and open an interleague set against the Pittsburgh Pirates in Detroit this evening. Matthew Boyd will start against Joe Musgrove. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Milwaukee Brewers scored six times in the second inning, and held off the Saint Louis Cardinals 10-7 last night. Christian Yelich blasted three home runs, and drove in seven runs. Mike Moustakas also homered. The outburst made up for a poor start by Freddy Peralta, who left in the fourth inning, and was charged with three runs.
The Brewers continue that home series against the Cardinals tonight. Brandon Woodruff will pitch against Jack Flaherty.
In the opening round of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs yesterday…
– The Toronto Maple Leafs edged the Boston Bruins 3-2. Toronto leads that series 2-1.
– The Carolina Hurricanes blanked the Washington Capitals 5-0. Washington leads that series 2-1.
– The Nashville Predators got past the Dallas Stars 3-2. Nashville now leads that set 2-1.
– The Colorado Avalanche buried the Calgary Flames 6-2. Colorado is up 2-1 in that series.
On today’s schedule…
– The Tampa Bay Lightning visit the Columbus Blue Jackets. Columbus is up 3-0 in that series.
– The New York Islanders face the Penguins in Pittsburgh. New York holds a 3-0 advantage in that series.
– The Winnipeg Jets face the Blues in Saint Louis. Saint Louis leads that set 2-1.
– The San Jose Sharks visit the Vegas Golden Knights. Vegas is up 2-1 in that set.
In opening-round playoff series last night…
– The Philadelphia 76ers outscored the Brooklyn Nets 145-123 That series is tied at a win per team.
– The Los Angeles Clippers got past the Golden State Warriors 135-131 to tie that series at a win per team.
On the schedule tonight…
– The Orlando Magic visit the Toronto Raptors. Orlando leads that set 1-0.
– The Denver Nuggets host the San Antonio Spurs. San Antonio is up 1-0 in that series.
– The Oklahoma City Thunder face the Trail Blazers in Portland. Portland holds a 1-0 advantage in that series.
The Detroit Pistons continue their opening round series tomorrow night against the Bucks in Milwaukee. Pregame coverage begins at 7:35 on 99.3 The Lift. Blake Griffin’s status remains questionable because of his sore knee. Coach Dwayne Casey said yesterday that Griffin wants to play, but the decision is in the hands of the team’s medical staff.
The Finlandia University baseball team split a doubleheader against Wisconsin-Stevens Point yesterday, dropping the first contest 22-7, then taking the second game 9-7. Joey Krug homered in the first game. Shawn Knutson had two hits and scored three runs in the nightcap.
The Finlandia softball team’s doubleheader at Bay College that was postponed on Sunday will be played today. The Lions games at Mount Mary University scheduled for Thursday have been canceled.
Alpha Sigma Tau and Phi Kappa Tau will host their first Tau Trot 5K Run/Walk on Saturday. The race will begin in Hancock and end in Houghton. Proceeds will support Girls on the Run and the SeriousFun Children’s Network. For more information, and to register, click here.
Email sports stories and game results to email@example.com.