In high school volleyball last night…
– Calumet pulled out a seesaw, 3-2 victory over Gwinn (25-9, 10-25, 25-23, 16-25, 15-10). Elli Djerf had nine kills and four aces for the Copper Kings.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell dropped the first set, then came back to defeat Houghton 3-1 (18-25, 27-25, 25-23, 25-21).
– Hancock got past L’Anse 3-2. Brynn VanBuren had 35 assists and and eight aces for the Purple Hornets, and Alayna Waara had 14 kills.
– Chassell v Wakefield-Marenisco – no report.
– Ontonagon v Watersmeet – no report.
At the WestPAC cross country meet yesterday…
– Houghton finished second to Ishpeming in the boys team competition. Calumet placed fourth. Joe Wood of the Gremlins was the individual winner, with Branden Peterson sixth, Evan Lebyak ninth, and Tucker Rynnanen 10th.
– The Gremlins won the girls meet, with Ingrid Seagren, Autumn Eles and Sage Resch-Chimmer placing third, fourth and sixth. Hancock came in third, with Maylie Kilpela placing ninth individually. Calumet wound up sixth, led by Kiira Berg’s seventh-place finish.
– See full results here.
– Chassell dominated the Copper Mountain Conference girls cross country meet. Ayla Miller and Gwen Kangas of the Panthers finished first and second. Paige Sleeman and Kamryn Kholden finished fourth and fifth, and Trisha Pietila eighth. Jeffers came in third in the team standings, led by Bryn Kinnunen’s ninth-place finish. Dollar Bay placed Kaylee Cavis in sixth place, and Kendra Kangas 10th, but did not have enough runners to qualify in the team standings.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City edged out Jeffers for the boys team title. Chassell finished fourth. Individually, John Paul Norland and Davin Hill finished fourth and fifth for the Blue Bolts. Kolson Kytta and Daba Holmes of the Panthers placed third and sixth.
After the meet, Dollar Bay was named the Copper Mountain Conference Boys Team of the Year. Gogebic’s Adam Mazurek was named Runner of the Year. Holmes, Kytta, Norland and Hill were among those named to the All-Conference First Team.
Chassell was named Girls Team of the Year. Kangas was honored as Runner of the Year. Miller, Sleeman, Sohlden, Pietila and Cavis were among those named to the All-Conference First Team.
See full results from the meet and the All-Conference honors here.
In high school football tonight…
– Calumet plays at Houghton. Coverage begins at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Hancock travels to Iron Mountain.
– L’Anse visits Westwood.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell journeys to Munising.
– Ontonagon hosts Carney-Nadeau.
The Finlandia University volleyball team heads to Wisconsin-Oshkosh for the Marty Peterson Invitational this weekend. The Lions will face Luther College and Wisconsin-Superior this evening, and Saint Norbert and the host team tomorrow.
The Finlandia football team plays at Kalamazoo College tomorrow afternoon.
The Lions men’s soccer team hosts Emmaus Bible College tomorrow at 1:00. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift and 993TheLift.com. The women’s team entertains Mount Mary tomorrow at 5:00. Fans are encouraged to bring non-perishable food donations to the game. Contributions will be turned over to the Western U.P. Food Bank.
Sam Casey is the new head coach of the Finlandia men’s basketball team. Casey spent the last year as head coach of De La Salle Jerusalem in the Palestinian Basketball Association, and also spent spent two years as head coach at San Antonio College. He replaces Mike O’Donnell, who left to become head girls basketball coach at Negaunee High School.
The Michigan Tech hockey team will open its Western Collegiate Hockey Association schedule at home against Alaska this weekend. Games begin at 7:07 tonight, and 6:07 tomorrow night at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The Northern Michigan University hockey team entertains Michigan State University tonight and tomorrow night.
The Tech volleyball team welcomes Wayne State University tonight at 5:00 at the SDC, then hosts Ashland tomorrow at 4:00.
The MTU football team entertains Northern Michigan University tomorrow at 1:00 at Sherman Field at Kearly Stadium.
Anthony Mantha’s goal late in the second period broke a 2-2 tie, and the Detroit Red Wings went on to defeat the Montreal Canadiens 4-2 last night. Darren Helm and Tyler Bertuzzi scored early for Detroit, and Luke Glendening added an empty-netter. Jonathan Bernier made 33 saves. The Wings host the Toronto Maple Leafs tomorrow night. Pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons Pistons host the Cleveland Cavaliers in a preseason game tonight. Listen for select Pistons games again this season on 99.3 The Lift.
The Houston Astros advanced to the American League championship series last night by defeating the Tampa Bay Rays 6-1. The Astros will host the Yankees in game one tomorrow night.
The National League championship series begins tonight, when the Saint Louis Cardinals entertain the Washington Nationals.
In last night’s NFL game, the New England Patriots cruised past the New York Giants 35-14.
The Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions will meet in the Monday night game on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.