In high school boys basketball last night…
– Calumet defeated Baraga 72-52.
– Houghton outscored West Iron County 68-42. The Gremlins led 23-2 after the first quarter. Brad Simonson led the Gremlins with 35 points.
– L’Anse defeated Watersmeet 73-63.
On the boys schedule tonight, Hancock entertains Ishpeming.
In girls hoops last night…
– Baraga got past Hancock 35-29.
– Jeffers cruised past Wakefield-Marenisco 50-26.
– Ontonagon downed Chassell 43-36.
– Ewen-Trout Creek smothered Bessemer 68-19.
The schedule is set for this year’s Trenton MIHL Showcase February 7th and 8th…
– Hancock will face Utica Eisenhower Friday morning at 9:50, and De La Salle Saturday morning at 8:20.
– Houghton will take on Riverview Gabriel Richard Friday evening at 8:20, and Cranbrook Saturday at 12:20.
– Calumet will meet Livonia Stephenson Friday at 1:30, and Trenton Saturday at noon.
We will broadcast Houghton’s game on Friday, and Hancock and Calumet’s games on Saturday on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
The Finlandia men’s hockey team lost 3-1 to Northland College last night. Phil Schader gave the Lions an early lead, but the Lumberjacks tied the game by the end of the first period, and put it away with two goals in the second. Ben Kelsch gave up all three Northland tallies over the first 27 minutes. Marcus Gloss finished the game in net.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team visits Gogebic Community College tonight.
Lions basketball players swept the American Collegiate Athletic Association Player of the Week honors. Dylan Underwood won the men’s award for the third time this season. Katie Lundeen claimed the women’s honor for the second time.
Filip Zadina’s goal with four minutes remaining lifted the Detroit Red Wings to a 4-3 victory over the Montréal Canadiens last night. Frans Nielsen scored twice for Detroit, and Robby Fabbru found the net once. Jonathan Bernier made 23 saves.
The Wings entertain the Ottawa Senators Friday. Coverage will begin at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons overcame a 15-point halftime deficit, and pulled out a 115-113 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers last evening. Derrick Rose scored 24 points, and Andre Drummond had 23 points and 20 rebounds.
The Pistons will host the Cavaliers Thursday. Coverage will start at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Blake Griffin underwent arthroscopic surgery to clean out his surgically repaired knee yesterday. No timetable has been announced for his potential return. The typical recovery period for such debridement procedures is six to eight weeks, but the team used the term “extended recovery,” leading to speculation that Griffin may be done for the season.
The U.S. Cross Country Ski Championships wrapped up on the Tech Trails with the Classic Sprint yesterday.
– Julien Locke of the Canadian National Team won the men’s competition.
– Hailey Swirbul from the APU Nordic Ski Center took the women’s crown.
– Lane Myshrall of Park City Ski and Snowboard won the boys competition.
– Emma Albrecht from Michigan Tech took the girls title, with Anabel Needham of the Huskies placing third.
Link to full results here.
Local dogsled racers ran well at the Tahquamenon Country Race on Saturday…
– Tom Bauer finished second in the 41-mile, eight-dog event. Three members of the Mushing Club at Michigan Tech also competed in that event – Kady Gerhke placed fifth, Christian Stevens sixth, and Steven Beauprey eighth.
– Jerry Trudell placed second in the 24-mile, six-dog race. Susan Serafini finished ninth.
– Marcus Benjamin finished 10th in the 51-mile, 10-dog event.
The Detroit Tigers are looking for a new manager for their Double-A minor league affiliate. Mike Rabelo is leaving the Erie Seawolves to join the Pittsburgh Pirates major league coaching staff.
Our high school basketball coverage continues tomorrow, when the Dollar Bay-Tamarack City boys play at Lake Linden-Hubbell. The pregame show will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.