In high school volleyball tonight…
• Houghton plays at Hancock in the Copper Spike Match. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell travels to Ontonagon.
• Jeffers visits L’Anse.
• Chassell hosts Ironwood.
In cross country, local teams will compete at the Dollar Bay/Chassell Invitational today.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team couldn’t hold an early lead, and dropped a tight 3-2 decision at Illinois Tech last night. Goals by Sabur Abudu and Mohamed Koroma put the Lions on top early in the second half, but two quick strikes by the Scarlet Hawks tied the contest, and they netted the game-winner in the 78th minute.
The Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox were rained out yesterday. The game will be made up Monday afternoon.
The Tigers have a scheduled day off today, and host the Kansas City Royals tomorrow night. Casey Mize will start against Carlos Hernandez.
The Milwaukee Brewers lost their fourth straight game last night, falling 10-2 to the Saint Louis Cardinals. Brett Anderson struggled, giving up six runs over the first two innings. Avisaíl García homered.
The Brewers entertain the Cardinals again this afternoon. Adrian Houser will start against Adam Wainwright.
Saint Louis has won 11 straight. Milwaukee’s magic number to clinch the National League Central Division title remains at any combination of three Brewers wins or Cardinals losses.
The Carolina Panthers visit the Houston Texans in tonight’s NFL contest. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
The Detroit Lions have placed cornerback Ifeatu Melinfownu on injured reserve. He was hurt in Monday night’s loss to the Green Bay Packers. Melinfownu had started the game after Jeff Okudah was lost for the season to an Achilles tendon injury. Veteran Daryl Worley has been brought up from the practice squad to fill in. The Lions also expect receiver Tyrell Williams to miss Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens. He remains in concussion protocol following a week one injury.
The Detroit Red Wings open training camp in Traverse City today. All of the Wings have received COVID-19 vaccinations except Tyler Bertuzzi. The Wings say they won’t force him to take the shot, but, under current international travel restrictions, he will not be able to accompany the team to games in Canada.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Hancock in the Copper Spike match tonight. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Houghton football team hosts Hancock in the Copper Bowl game tomorrow night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf. Gremlins fans are invited to a Copper Bowl tailgate party beginning at 5:00 tomorrow near the concession stand.
• The Calumet football team plays at Gwinn tomorrow night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Dickinson tomorrow night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.