Click on the blue highlights for additional details.
In high school hockey last night…
– Kingsford surprised Houghton 6-5. Nick Murvich scored four goals for the Flivvers.
– Jeffers edged Negaunee 5-4.
The schedule for the upcoming MIHL Prep Showcase at Trenton has been revised. The only change for our local teams is the Saturday Houghton game. Instead of playing U of D Jesuit, the Gremlins will face Dearborn Divine Child at noon. It’s one of four games we’ll broadcast from Trenton involving Houghton, Hancock and Calumet on February 2nd and 3rd.
In high school boys basketball last evening…
– Houghton lost to West Iron County 63-24.
– Jeffers outscored Hancock 57-44.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell fell to Ontonagon 63-41.
– Dollar Bay-Tamarack City defeated Wakefield-Marenisco 75-57. Jaden Janke led the Blue Bolts with 24 points. Devin Schmitz added 21, and Brandon Thompson scored 16.
– Baraga lost to Bessemer 75-36.
– Ewen-Trout Creek shut down L’Anse 69-35. Jake Witt scored 20 points and grabbed 17 rebounds for the Panthers. Eli Nordine scored 16 points.
In last night’s only local girls game, L’Anse lost to Ishpeming 81-47.
On the girls schedule tonight…
– Houghton tips off at Calumet.
– Hancock entertains Ontonagon.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell visits Dollar Bay-Tamarack City.
– Baraga travels to Republic-Michigamme.
– Ewen-Trout Creek welcomes Wakefield-Marenisco.
– Chassell plays at Jeffers. Pregame coverage will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
The Houghton swim team competes at Westwood today.
The Finlandia University women’s basketball team lost 86-70 to Wisconsin-Superior yesterday. The Lions controlled the game early, but the Yellowjackets took command late in the first half. Kelsie Richards led Finlandia with 16 points. Lela Horne added 15.
The Finlandia men’s basketball team plays at North Central University in Illinois tonight.
The Lions men’s hockey team entertains Wisconsin-Superior tonight. Faceoff is at 7:00 at the Houghton County Arena.
The Detroit Pistons lost their Martin Luther King Junior Day matinee 118-107 to the Charlotte Hornets. Detroit was up by six at halftime, but faltered in the third quarter, and couldn’t recover. Reggie Bullock led the team with 20 points. The Pistons visit the Toronto Raptors tomorrow night. Tipoff is at 7:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Dallas Stars tonight. Pregame coverage will begin at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.