Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school football last night…
• Calumet fell 35-7 at Iron Mountain. The Mountaineers scored a touchdown on their second play from scrimmage, but the Copper Kings held them to just two field goals through the remainder of the first half. Calumet found the endzone in the second quarter, when Aksel Loukus hit Hans Kiilunen with a 14-yard touchdown pass. Iron Mountain led 13-7 at halftime, before taking control in the second half.
• Houghton recorded a forfeit win against West Iron County.
• Hancock dropped a 34-6 decision at Westwood.
• L’Anse lost at Negaunee 44-8.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell fell 22-14 at Forest Park.
• Ontonagon lost 50-8 at Norway on Thursday.
In volleyball today…
• Houghton plays at the Wright Invitational, in Wrightstown, Wisconsin.
• Calumet plays at a showcase in the Detroit area.
• Chassell and Ontonagon compete at the Hurley Tournament.
Houghton cross country runs at the Soo Elks Invitational today.
Michigan Tech’s football team plays at Davenport this afternoon.
Northern Michigan travels to Wayne State University.
Finlandia hosts Northwestern of Minnesota. Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team swept Lake Superior State 3-0 (25-14, 25-18, 25-18) last night. Makena Wesol led the Huskies with 12 kills. Lina Espejo-Ramirez recorded 33 assists, and Carissa Beyer had 12 digs.
The Huskies play at Ferris State today.
The MTU soccer team played Northern Michigan to a 0-0 tie last night.
Both the Finlandia men’s and women’s soccer teams visit Maranatha Baptist tomorrow afternoon.
The Michigan Tech hockey team hosts Lake Superior State for an exhibition contest today. Faceoff is at 2:07 at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
The Northern Michigan hockey team opens its CCHA season with home games against Bowling Green tonight and tomorrow.
The Red Wings suffered a 2-0 loss to the Capitals in a preseason game last night. Detroit continues its preseason schedule at Chicago tonight. Listen for regular-season Wings games on 99.3 The Lift.
The Tigers’ six-game win streak ended with a 7-0 loss to the Twins last night. Tyler Alexander gave up three runs over five innings and took the loss.
The Tigers host the Twins tonight. Drew Hutchison will start against Dylan Bundy. Coverage begins at 5:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit’s 22nd shutout loss of the season tied the Major League record in the designated hitter era.
The Brewers shaded the Marlins 1-0 last evening. Corbin Burnes pitched eight innings, allowing just four hits. Rowdy Tellez’ sacrifice fly in the sixth plated Garrett Mitchell with the game’s only run.
The Brewers entertain the Marlins again this evening. Aaron Ashby will pitch against Edward Cabrera.
The Phillies also won, so Milwaukee still officially trails Philadelphia by a half-game in the race for the final National League Wild Card playoff berth. However, since the Phillies own the tiebreaker against the Brewers, Milwaukee is functionally 1.5 games back, with five games remaining in the regular season.
• The Lions host the Seahawks in a 1:00 game. Receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown and running back D’Andre Swift will miss the game because of injuries. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Packers welcome the Patriots for a 4:25 contest.
The Vikings and Saints play in a Sunday morning game from London. Kickoff is at 9:30 on 99.3 The Lift.
The 49ers host the Rams in Monday night contest. Kickoff is at 8:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Today – Finlandia University football hosts Northwestern (MN). Coverage will begin at 12:40 on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
- Tuesday – Houghton volleyball plays at Calumet. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Houghton football plays at Calumet. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.