Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In football last night…
• Negaunee smothered Houghton 48-0. With many Gremlins starters out with injuries, the Miners scored on every possession except for one. Negaunee’s Kai Lacar ran for 225 yards and four touchdowns. The Gremlins were held to just 50 yards of total offense.
• Calumet took control early, and defeated Hancock 38-6. The Copper Kings scored touchdowns on each of their first five possessions, with no drive taking more than seven plays. Amar Patterson had scoring runs of 22 and 79 yards. Brayden Nelson added six-yard and 33-yard jaunts. Garrett Peterson plunged in from one yard out. Xander Hoffman added extra points after each score, and closed the first half with a 20-yard field goal. Hancock’s touchdown came on a one-yard run by Bryce Hanner, after a long drive midway through the second half. Patterson led the Kings with 142 yards rushing on just five carries. He also tossed a 40-yard halfback option pass to Gabe Mattila on the first play from scrimmage. Braydon Nelson rushed for 134 yards on eight attempts. Trevor Halonen carried the load for the Bulldogs, running for 109 yards on 28 carries.
• L’Anse defeated Manistique 22-7.
• Ontonagon routed North Dickinson 50-14.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes Gogebic.
• Last night’s L’Anse at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City match was canceled. A make-up date will be announced later.
• Houghton, Calumet and Hancock compete at the WestPAC Tournament at Iron Mountain. Our coverage will begin around 10:10 on KBear 102.3.
Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan will play for the Miner’s Cup today. Kickoff is at 1:00 at Kearly Stadium.
The Finlandia University football team plays at Martin Luther College today.
The Michigan Tech hockey team cruised to a 6-2 victory at Alaska last night. Six different Huskies scored, including Trevor Russell and Jack Works, who netted their first collegiate goals. Blake Pietila made 23 saves.
Northern Michigan fell 3-1 at Notre Dame last night. Those teams met again tomorrow in South Bend.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team split its matches at the Midwest Regional Crossover yesterday, falling to Ashland 3-0 (25-19, 25-21, 25-14), and defeating Indianapolis 3-2 (25-23, 25-18, 23-25, 24-26, 15-12). The Huskies will face Cedarville today.
The Tech soccer team blanked Parkside 2-0 last evening. Mia Van der Heide and Ella Roach each scored their first goals as Huskies. Gracie VanLangevelde earned the shutout in net. Tech will entertain Purdue Northwest tomorrow at noon.
The Finlandia men’s soccer team lost to Wisconsin-Eau Claire 8-0 yesterday afternoon.
Both Finlandia soccer teams host Maranatha Baptist today.
The Red Wings opened their season with a 3-0 shutout of the Canadiens last night. Ville Husso earned the shutout in his Detroit debut, stopping 29 shots. Elmer Söderblom scored in his NHL debut, and Michael Rasmussen and Olli Maatta also found the net.
The Pistons begin their regular season Wednesday at home against the Magic. Listen for selected Pistons games this season on 99.3 The Lift.
In the National League divisional series yesterday…
• The Phillies trounced the Braves 9-1. Philly leads that set 2-1. Those teams meet in Philadelphia again this afternoon.
• The Padres edged the Dodgers 2-1. San Diego leads that series 2-1. Those teams play again tonight in San Diego.
In the American League Divisional Series…
• The Guardians downed the Yankees yesterday 4-2. That series is tied 1-1. Those teams meet again this evening in Cleveland.
• The Mariners host the Astros this afternoon. Houston leads that series 2-0.
• The Packers host the Jets in a 1:00 game.
• The Lions have the weekend off.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
- Today – Calumet and Houghton compete at the WestPAC tournament in Iron Mountain. Listen for coverage beginning around 10:10 on KBear 102.3.
- Monday – Calumet volleyball plays at Houghton. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 99.3 The Lift.
- Friday – Calumet football plays at L’Anse. Coverage will begin around 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
- Friday – Houghton football entertains Gwinn. Coverage will begin around 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.