In boys high school basketball last night…
• Houghton fell to Gwinn 52-47.
In girls action…
• Calumet handed Westwood its first loss of the season, 52-39. Jana Loukus led the Copper Kings with 17 points. Alexis Strom and Marybeth Halonen each added 12. The Copper Kings defense held the Patriots to just 20 points through the first three quarters.
In basketball tonight…
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell games at Ewen-Trout Creek have been postponed to February 9th.
• The Baraga games at Watersmeet have been postponed – no make-up date has been announced.
On the girls schedule…
• Houghton entertains Chassell.
On the boys schedule…
• Hancock hosts L’Anse.
• Jeffers plays at Ironwood.
In high school hockey tonight…
• Hancock welcomes Negaunee.
The pairings have been announced for the upcoming MIHL hockey showcase, which will take place in Trenton the first weekend in February. Houghton will face Brighton that Friday evening at 6:20, and Orchard Lake Saint Mary that Saturday at 10:30. Hear both games on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf. Calumet will take on St. Ignatius that Friday at 11:35, and Grosse Pointe South that Saturday at 11:50. Hear both games on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3. Hancock will play East Grand Rapids that Friday at 11:35, and Rockford that Saturday at 10:10. Jeffers will take part in the Wisigan Tournament with Negaunee, Merrill and Manistique that weekend at the SDC.
Calumet High School has a new head football coach. Josh Frantti will take over the reins of the Copper Kings program. He succeeds John Croze, who retired at the end of the 2021 season. Frantti was a standout player for the Copper Kings, and for Michigan Tech. He’s been an assistant at Calumet for the past several seasons. He teaches health and physical education at Calumet High School.
Both Michigan Tech basketball teams play at Wayne State tonight.
The Northern Michigan men’s team will tip off at Saginaw Valley State tonight. The women’s game has been postponed because of COVID-19 issues. At this time, the Wildcats’ women’s game at Wayne State set for Saturday is still on the schedule.
The Finlandia University women’s hockey games scheduled at Trine University tomorrow and Saturday have been pushed back to Monday and Tuesday.
The Detroit Red Wings host the Winnipeg Jets tonight. Coverage will begin at 7:15 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons will host the Toronto Raptors tomorrow. Coverage will begin at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
The annual Otter Lake Sportsmen’s Club ice fishing derby will be held Saturday at Otter Lake. Fishing is open from sunrise to 4:00, and fish must be checked in by 5:00 at the clubhouse, where the awards ceremony will be held. Sign-up forms are available at Kurt’s Corner Store, Karvakko’s Market, and the Otter Lake Sportsmen’s Club.
Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – hockey – Brother Rice at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – hockey – Detroit-Jesuit at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tomorrow – hockey – Adrian at Finlandia men – 6:55 pregame on the Voice of the Lions, 99.3 The Lift.
• Saturday – hockey – Adrian at Finlandia men – 1:40 pregame on KBear 102.3 (because of NFL football on 99.3 The Lift).
• Saturday – hockey – Brother Rice at Houghton – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – hockey – Detroit-Jesuit at Calumet – 6:40 pregame on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.