Click on the blue links for more details.
In high school girls basketball last night…
– Hancock shut down Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 56-26. Mialy Brooks led the Bulldogs with 13 points.
– Calumet buried Lake Linden-Hubbell 57-28. Lea Bjorn scored a dozen for the Copper Kings.
– Chassell stopped Republic-Michigamme 72-25.
– Baraga dropped a 43-42 heartbreaker to Wakefield-Marenisco.
– L’Anse fell to West Iron County 71-40.
– Ewen-Trout Creek got past Ontonagon 54-49 in overtime. Elise Besonen scored 27 for the Panthers.
In girls action tonight…
– Houghton travels to Marquette.
– Calumet hosts Negaunee.
On the boys schedule last evening…
– L’Anse lost to Ishpeming 78-30.
– Jeffers defeated Lake Linden-Hubbell 56-42. Carson Turner had a triple double – 13 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists.
– Hancock lost to Republic-Michigamme 62-55.
In boys play tonight…
– Houghton tips off at Jeffers.
– Calumet visits Chassell.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell welcomes Republic-Michigamme.
– Tonight’s scheduled Ewen-Trout Creek game at Dollar Bay-Tamarack City has been postponed until tomorrow night, and moved to the SDC. Our coverage of the battle between the two unbeaten teams will begin at 7:00 tomorrow evening on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Four Finlandia University women’s basketball players have been named to the American Collegiate Athletic Association All-Academic team. Molly Berg and Taylor Pertile from Hancock, Kelsie Richards from Houghton, and Haley Makela from Jeffers took all but two of the six slots on the first team. Dollar Bay’s Julia Daavettila was an honor roll recipient. Finlandia placed more players on the roster than any other ACAA school.
Two Michigan Tech athletes are in the spotlight. Hockey forward Jake Lucchini has been named the Western Collegiate Athletic Association Offensive Player of the Week. He compiled five points, as the Huskies split at Bowling Green last weekend. Brenna Heise has been selected as the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference North Division Player of the Week. She scored 39 points in the Huskies’ wins over Grand Valley State and Purdue Northwest. It’s her second Player of the Week honor this season.
The Michigan Tech Blue Line Club will host its final lunch of the season on Friday at noon in the ‘old’ Blue Line Room outside of University Images. Tech head coach Joe Shawhan and Bemidji State head coach Tom Serratore will preview this weekend’s Winter Carnival series. The cost is $10.00. The public is welcome. Reserve your place by noon Thursday by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Detroit Pistons outscored the Portland Trail Blazers 111-91 last night. Blake Griffin led the offense with 21 points, and Andre Drummond added 17 points, and grabbed 17 rebounds. The Pistons have won four in a row, and are back at the .500 mark. They’ll host the Brooklyn Nets tomorrow night. Tipoff is at 7:00 on 99.3 the Lift.
The Detroit Red Wings entertain the Boston Bruins this evening. Pregame coverage begins at 7:10 on 99.3 The Lift.
The worst-kept secret in the National Football League was finally confirmed yesterday, as former New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia was introduced as the head coach of the Detroit Lions.
Our Finlandia University athletics coverage continues Saturday, when the Lions women’s basketball team entertains Silver Lake College. Our pregame show will start at 12:40 on 99.3 The Lift, and 993TheLift.com.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.