Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
Girls’ Hoops Season Opens Tonight
The girls’ high school basketball season opens tonight…
– Last year’s WestPAC co-champion Houghton entertains Baraga. The Gremlins are regrouping after the graduation of All-Stater Elisa Jurmu, who is now playing for Michigan Tech… and WestPAC honoree Kelsie Richards, who is now playing for Finlandia. They bring back WestPAC first-teamer Sydney Dillinger, who is now a senior.
– The other co-champ, L’Anse, plays at Chassell. The Purple Hornets are also rebuilding, having lost two WestPAC first-teamers to graduation. Madi Swanson is now playing at Lake Superior State, and Valerie Rajala is playing for Finlandia.
– Hancock travels to West Iron County.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell hosts Republic-Michigamme.
– Jeffers welcomes Watersmeet.
In high school hockey…
– Houghton skates at Northland Pines.
– L’Anse entertains Kingsford.
– Jeffers visits Negaunee. Our pregame coverage begins around 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
MTU Hockey Ranked 5/6; Petan Honored
The Michigan Tech hockey team has moved up a spot in one national poll, and dropped a spot in the other. The Huskies are ranked fifth in the nation in this week’s USCHO.com poll. They’re rated sixth in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll. Northern Michigan is ranked 19th in the USCHO.com poll.
Michigan Tech forward Alex Petan has been named the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week. Petan a goal and two assists in the Huskies’ sweep of Alabama Huntsville over the weekend.
NHL – Red Wings Host Panthers
The Red Wings host the Panthers tonight. Detroit will be without Justin Abdelkader, who hurt his shoulder in Sunday’s win over Vancouver. The injury is still being evaluated, and it’s not known when he’l be able to return. Faceoff is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Entertain Lakers
The Pistons entertain the Lakers tonight.
NFL – Dolphins Edge Jets
In last night’s NFL game, Caleb Sturgis’ field goal with two minutes remaining lifted the Dolphins to a 16-13 victory over the Jets. If you played the Wolf Pro Football Challenge, you must have selected at least 12 games correctly to be eligible to be our weekly winner.
MLB – Contract Deadline Tonight
Major League Baseball teams have until 10:59 tonight to offer contracts to members of their roster who are not yet signed. Teams can set any amount they they think is fair for players who are not eligible for arbitration. Players who are eligible for arbitration can either accept the deals, or file a counteroffer for an arbitration hearing. Tigers who are eligible for arbitration include starting pitchers David Price and Rick Porcello, reliever Al Alburquerque and outfielder J.D. Martinez. Brewers who are arbitration-eligible include reliever Brandon Kintzler, catcher Martin Maldonado and outfielder Gerardo Parra.
Our high school hockey coverage continues tonight, when Jeffers skates at Negaunee. Our pregame show begins at 6:40. Hear the Copper Country’s most complete hockey and basketball coverage this winter on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.