In high school girls basketball last night…
– Jeffers outscored Bessemer 57-36.
– Chassell shut down Republic-Michigamme 59-19.
– Baraga cruised past Wakefield-Marenisco 69-32.
– Ewen-Trout Creek edged Ontonagon 43-40.
On the boys schedule last night…
– L’Anse defeated Watersmeet 62-47. Alex Kissel led the Purple Hornets with 21 points, and Paul Jacobson added 14.
Tonight, both Hancock teams will play at Gwinn. The girls JV contest will start at 4:00; the boys varsity game at 5:45; and the girls varsity contest at 7:20.
Both Dollar Bay-Tamarack City teams play at Ewen-Trout Creek.
In other girls action tonight…
– Calumet entertains Negaunee.
– Houghton journeys to Marquette.
In other boys games tonight…
– Houghton plays at Jeffers. Our broadcast will begin around 7:00 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
– Calumet visits Chassell.
– Lake Linden-Hubbell travels to Republic-Michigamme.
In hockey this evening…
– Calumet plays at Marquette.
– Hancock faces off at Jeffers in a game that was a late addition to the schedule.
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Michigan Tech’s Dawson Bilski has been named the Great Lakes Athletic Conference North Division Men’s Basketball Player of the Week for the second time this season. Bilski scored 49 points in the Huskies’ games against Purdue-Northwest and Parkside last weekend.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer team has added a new recruit. Joseph Borski was a four year starter at Royal Oak High School.
The Detroit Red Wings visit the Buffalo Sabres tonight. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Anthony Mantha is expected to return to the lineup tonight, after missing more than seven weeks with a punctured lung suffered in a game against the Maple Leafs.
The Detroit Pistons’ offense was held to a season-low in an 87-76 loss the Charlotte Hornets last evening. Thon Maker led Detroit with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
Maker was back in the lineup after losing three teeth when he was elbowed in the face by Julius Randle in Saturday’s loss to the Knicks – a play on which no foul was called.
The Pistons visit the Orlando Magic tomorrow. Coverage begins at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
Detroit Tigers pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland, Florida, today as spring training begins. They’ll have their first official workout tomorrow. Position players report on Sunday. Detroit’s Grapefruit League schedule begins a week from Saturday.
Milwaukee Brewers pitchers and catchers are due in camp tomorrow in Arizona.
Email sports news and game results to firstname.lastname@example.org.