In girls regional semifinal basketball games last night…
– In Division Three, Calumet’s season ended with a 51-26 loss to Westwood. The Patriots defense held the Coppr Kings to just nine points in the second half. Elli Djerf and Marybeth Halonen each scored eight for Calumet.
– In Division Four at Kingsford – Baraga edged Munising 51-49. L’Anse got past Carney-Nadeau 53-47. Maija Rice scored 22 points for the Purple Hornets. The Vikings and Hornets will meet in a Battle of the Bay Regional championship game tomorrow. The site has been moved from Kingsford to Michigan Tech. Tipoff will be at 7:00 Eastern time.
In boys high school basketball tournament district semifinals tonight…
– Division Three – L’Anse will host Calumet at 7:00. Pregame coverage will start at 6:40 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Ironwood will entertain Iron Mountain in the other semifinal.
– Division Four, District 98 – Baraga plays at Chassell at 7:00; Dollar Bay-Tamarack City tips off at Jeffers at 7:00.
– Division Four, District 97 – Ewen-Trout Creek meets Ontonagon at 6:00; Watersmeet takes on Bessemer at 7:30. Both games will be played in Ontonagon.
The Calumet High School athletic department is asking for donations to help cover the cost of the hockey team’s trip downstate this weekend. A GoFundMe page has been set up here. The Copper Kings will face Detroit Country Day in the state high school tournament semifinals Friday afternoon. Pregame coverage begins at 1:05 on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com.
Western Collegiate Hockey Association
Former Northern Michigan University hockey head coach Rick Comley was named the 2020 recipient of the Hobey Baker Legend of College Hockey award. Comley won 538 games over 26 seasons, and led the Wildcats to an NCAA title.
The Finlandia University men’s soccer program has added a new recruit. Bassam Murshed is from Hamtramck, and earned four varsity letters at the Frontier International Academy.
Finlandia softball player Denia Bent has been named the American Collegiate Athletic Association Player of the Week. Bent hit .680 during the Lions’ Florida trip, and pitched a shutout over threw a shutout over Martin Luther College.
The Detroit Red Wings lost to the Carolina Hurricanes 5-2 last night. Tyler Bertuzzi and Christoffer Ehn scored for Detroit. Jonathan Bernier made 31 saves. The loss guarantees that Detroit will finish with the worst record in the NHL.
The Wings visit the Washington Capitals tomorrow. Coverage begins at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Philadelphia 76ers tonight. Coverage starts at 6:35 on 99.3 The Lift.
In spring baseball yesterday, the Detroit Tigers shut down the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-1. Starter Matthew Boyd threw four shutout innings, then left as the Pirates scored their only run in the fifth. C.J. Cron, Jeimer Candelario and Cameron Maybin homered.
The Tigers have today off.
The Milwaukee Brewers defeated the Kansas City Royals 5-2 yesterday. Brandon Woodruff gave up a run over four innings.
The Brewers play the Los Angeles Dodgers tonight.
Milwaukee pitcher Eric Lauer has been sidelined with a shoulder injury. It’s not thought to be major, but it could derail his hopes of becoming the team’s fifth starter.
Email sports news and game results to email@example.com.