Click on the highlighted scores for additional game details.
In golf… the Division II U.P. Championships were played at Oak Crest at Norway yesterday.
• Manistique won the boys tournament, with Hancock three strokes back, and Jeffers eight strokes off the pace. The Jets’ Todd Rautiola finished second individually, with a 76. Jackson Sintkowski of the Bulldogs placed fourth. See full results here.
• The Emeralds also won the girls title. No local players competed. See full results here.
The Division III Championships were staged at Highland yesterday.
• Mid-Peninsula claimed the boys title, with Ontonagon second. Abi Pestka and Jerry Majuein of the Gladiators placed third and fifth, individually. See full results here.
• Cedarville took the girls crown, with Ontonagon third. Emmy Bobula of the Gladiators medaled, and Madyson Pantti placed fourth. Kiera Isaacson from Dollar Bay-Tamarack City placed 10th. See full results here.
In high school baseball districts…
• In Division Four at Jeffers today, the Jets host L’Anse at 11:00, and Ontonagon faces Gogebic at 1:30. The championship game will start at 3:00.
• In Division Three at Negaunee tomorrow, Iron Mountain will face Calumet at 10:00 on KBear 102.3. Negaunee will play Hancock at noon. The title game will begin at 2:00, and will be broadcast on KBear 102.3 if Calumet advances.
• In Division Two at Escanaba today, the Eskymoes host Kingsford at 10:00. Houghton plays Sault Ste. Marie at 12:20 on 97.7 The Wolf. The championship game will be played at 3:00, and will be broadcast on 97.7 The Wolf if Houghton advances.
In high school softball districts…
• In Division Four, District 97 at Ironwood today, Ironwood plays Gogebic at 10:00 Central Time. Hancock faces Lake Linden-Hubbell at noon Central Time. The championship game will begin at 2:00 Central Time.
• In Division Four, District 98 at Ishpeming today, L’Anse takes on Ishpeming at 10:00. Baraga faces Forest Park at noon. The title game will start at 2:00.
• In Division Three at Negaunee tomorrow, Houghton plays Calumet at 10:00 on 97.7 The Wolf. Gwinn and Negaunee meet at noon. The championship game begins at 2:00 on 97.7 The Wolf.
The U.P. Track and Field Championships will be staged tomorrow at Kingsford.
The Nuggets won game one of the NBA championship series last night, defeating the Heat 104-93. Game Two will be played Sunday in Denver.
The Stanley Cup series begins tomorrow, as the Golden Knights entertain the Panthers.
The Great Lakes Invitational hockey tournament will remain in Grand Rapids. After a successful first year, Michigan Tech and Michigan State have signed a four-year contract to continue the long-time tourney at Van Andel Arena. The University of Michigan, which was a regular for most of the GLI’s 56-year history, is not involved. Alaska and Ferris State will round out the 2023 field.
The Tigers had yesterday off, and visit the White Sox tonight. Reese Olson will start for Detroit, in his major league debut. Coverage will begin at 7:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
The Brewers lost 3-1 to the Blue Jays yesterday. All of Toronto’s runs came from a pair of homers off Freddy Peralta in the first inning.
The Brewers begin a series at Cincinnati this afternoon. Corbin Burnes will pitch against Brandon Williamson.