Click on the bold links for more details.
The Detroit Tigers lost to the Seattle Mariners 6-2 last night. Anibal Sanchez returned from Toledo to make his first start of the season. He pitched four shutout innings, then gave up a two-run homer to Guillermo Heredia in the fifth. Alex Wilson relieved Sanchez in the sixth, surrendered a two-run homer to Mike Zunino, and took the loss. Zunino also homered off Francisco Rodríguez in the eighth.
The Tigers have lost nine of their last 13 games, and continue that series at Seattle tonight. Jordan Zimmermann will start against Ariel Miranda. Pregame coverage will begin at 9:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Matt Garza and Wily Peralta each gave up four runs, as the Milwaukee Brewers fell to the Pittsburgh Pirates 8-1 last night. Travis Shaw homered for Milwaukee’s only score.
The Brewers continue that home set against the Pirates tonight. Zach Davies will pitch against Chad Kuhl.
Neftalí Feliz is no longer a Brewer. The team designated Feliz for assignment last week. He was not claimed by another team, and no trade could be made, so he is now a free agent.
Copper Country Fast Pitch Softball
In Copper Country Women’s Fast Pitch Softball last night…
– Calumet Golf Club/The Loading Zone defeated Northern Michigan Land Brokers 12 to 3. Ellie Djerf was the winning pitcher. She struck out nine and walked two. Hannah Hill took the loss. Taylor Vertin led Calumet Golf Club/The Loading Zone with four singles. Jada Riutta added a single and a double. Hill and Laura Berg each had two singles for Northern Michigan Land Brokers.
– Frank A. Douglass Agency defeated Superior National Bank 7 to 3. Raili Therrian broke open a close game with a two-run double in the top of the sixth inning. Josie Conners was the winning pitcher, with seven strikeouts and four walks. Adena Anderson struck out 11, but took the loss. Harlee Froberg had a double and two singles and Molly Bugni had two singles for Frank A. Douglass Agency. Sally Heinonen had a double and a single and Lori Dunstan had two singles for SNB.
In Copper Country Twilight League baseball tonight…
– Superior National Bank-Stanton faces Dean Kangas-State Farm at the Hancock Driving Park.
– REL-Mohawk Technologies meets Wolverine-Orbit at the Wolverine field.
Copper Country Horseshoe League
In Copper Country Horseshoe League play last evening…
– Calumet One defeated Ahmeek Fire Department 7-2.
– Harter’s Party Store downed Harter’s Carquest 8-1.
– Drift Inn edged Dreamland One 5-4.
– Calumet Electronics got past Rocky’s Bar 6-3.
– Loading Zone beat Dreamland Two 6-3.
The Finlandia University softball team has added two more players for next season. Daniella Gonzalez comes from Bell Gardens, California, where she was captain of both her high school and travel teams. Annette Valdes played high school and travel ball in Miami, Florida.
Former Michigan Tech hockey hockey player Jujhar Khaira has signed a two-year contract extension with the Edmonton Oilers. Khaira has appeared in 25 games for the Oilers throughout his career and has a goal and two assists.
The Copper Harbor Trails Club will hold a dinner fundraiser Thursday evening at the Harbor Haus in Copper Harbor. Enjoy great food and sample Bell’s Beer. Tickets are $25.00. Only 50 will be sold, so make your reservation here.
The annual Longest Day Fishing Tournament will be held Saturday on the waters of Lac La Belle, Copper Harbor, Eagle Harbor and Lake Medora. Fishing begins at 6:00 am and ends at 3:30 pm, with the awards ceremony at 8:00 pm at the Mariner North in Copper Harbor. A pre-tournament meeting will be held on Friday at the Copper Harbor Community Building and will include refreshments, live music and a fish boil. For more information, call 289-4637, or click here.
Email sports stories and results to email@example.com.