In high school hockey last night…
• Houghton skated past Hancock 5-2. Mike Maillette scored twice for the Gremlins and added an assist. Gaborik Carlson, Cooper Burkman and Landon Stevens also found the net, and Aaron Kogan had two assists. Chad Nordstrom and Calvin Heinonen scored for the Bulldogs. Houghton’s Troy Povich made 13 saves, and Hancock’s Brandon Pietila stopped 33 shots.
In hockey tonight…
• Jeffers travels to Kingsford.
In girls basketball last night…
• Chassell got past Jeffers 33-26. Trisha Pietila had 16 points and eight rebounds for the Panthers, and Paris Olson added eight points. Raena Kangas led the Jets with nine points, and Sara Johnson scored eight.
• Ewen-Trout Creek stopped Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 65-39.
On the girls schedule tonight…
• Calumet travels to Iron Mountain.
• L’Anse plays at Lake Linden-Hubbell.
The Michigan Tech volleyball team opens the NCAA tournament today. The Huskies are seeded second in the Midwest Region, and will face seventh-seed Wayne State University at noon. Tech defeated the Warriors twice during the regular season. The regional tournament is being hosted in Big Rapids by top-seeded Ferris State.
Both Northern Michigan University basketball teams begin their Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference schedules tonight at Northwood University.
The Detroit Red Wings earned their fourth straight victory last night, edging the Seattle Kraken 4-3 in a shootout. Robby Fabbri, Vladislav Namestnikov and Lucas Raymond scored for Detroit during regulation. Dylan Larkin and Adam Erne tallied shootout goals. Thomas Greiss earned the win in net.
The Wings entertain the New York Islanders Saturday. Coverage will begin at 6:45 on 99.3 The Lift.
Raymond has been named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for November.
Tyler Bertuzzi missed last night’s game, and will be off the ice for at least the next four. The only player in the league not to accept a COVID-19 vaccination has been placed in protocol – presumably because he tested positive, but the league doesn’t specifically say that. He’ll become eligible to return in 10 days, if he tests negative. Because he is not vaccinated, he will not be paid for the missed games. Bertuzzi’s unvaccinated status also cost him three recent road games when the team played Canada, and he could not cross the border. The Wings lost all three of those contests.
The Detroit Pistons visit the Phoenix Suns tonight.
In tonight’s NFL game, the Dallas Cowboys visit the New Orleans Saints. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
Please have your picks in The Wolf Pro Football Challenge turned in by noon today at one of our sponsors.
The Major League Baseball lockout is underway. Little progress was reported in meetings between the owners and the players yesterday. The labor agreement between the two sides expired at midnight, and baseball activity ceased. No major league contracts can be signed until the impasse is resolved, and players and their agents are not permitted to talk to team management.
Before the old agreement ran out, however, the Detroit Tigers did finalize their six-year, $140 million deal with shortstop Javier Báez – a sweet gift for the two-time All-Star on his 29th birthday.
The Milwaukee Brewers slipped in a trade just before the deadline, sending outfielder Jackie Bradley, Jr. back to the Boston Red Sox, along with two prospects. In exchange, the Crew gets outfielder Hunter Renfroe. After signing a big free agent contract, Bradley had a terrible offensive season, hitting just .169. Renfroe is coming off the best season of his career, with 31 home runs and 96 runs batted in. He will replace the departed Avisaíl García in right field.
Upcoming Local Sports Broadcasts
• Tomorrow – high school hockey – Hartland at Calumet – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tomorrow – high school hockey – Traverse City Central at Houghton – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Saturday – high school hockey – Hartland at Houghton – coverage at 12:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Tuesday – high school hockey – Marquette at Calumet – coverage at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• Tuesday – high school girls basketball – Houghton at L’Anse – coverage around 7:00 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.