Click on the highlighted scores for more game details.
In high school football yesterday…
• Houghton defeated Bark River-Harris 34-16.
The Michigan Tech football team gave up three touchdowns in the fourth quarter, and lost at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls, Texas 28-21 Saturday. The Mustangs tied the game in the final minute. Tech had a chance to reclaim the lead after a 60-yard kickoff return by Darius Willis, but Midwestern State’s Melik Owens picked off a Will Ark pass and returned it 52-yards for the winning score.
Northern Michigan fell 31-21 at Davenport Saturday.
The Finlandia University football team lost 55-0 at Iowa Wesleyan Saturday. The Tigers held the Lions to just three first downs, and minus-14 yards of total offense.
Mohamed Koroma’s hat trick led the Finlandia men’s soccer team to a 4-3 victory over Ripon College Saturday. Chinedu Ikem scored the Lions’ other goal.
The Finlandia women’s team dropped a 2-0 decision at Madison College Saturday, and plays at Ripon College today.
The Tech soccer team hosts Ferris State today at noon.
The Tech volleyball team swept Lake Superior State 3-0 (25-23, 25-11, 30-28) Saturday. A couple of Huskies turned in career-best performances – Jillian Kuizenga with 19 kills, and Olivia Heidel with 39 assists.
The Tigers lost to the White Sox 4-3 in 11 innings last night. Eduardo Rodriguez turned in an effective start, tossing six shutout innings, and leaving as the Sox scored twice in the seventh. For Detroit, Victor Reyes drove home Tucker Barnhardt in the sixth, and Riley Greene singled home Akil Baddoo in the eighth. After a scoreless 10th, Chicago scratched out two runs off Gregory Soto in the top of the 11th. A two-out Javier Báez single in the bottom of the inning plated Baddoo, but Spencer Torkleson’s sharp line drive to center field was caught for the final out.
The Tigers host the Sox again this afternoon. Drew Hutchison will start for Detroit. Because of Lions football, there will be no Tigers radio broadcast.
The Brewers downed the Yankees 4-1 last evening. Willy Adames homered. Brandon Woodruff turned in eight strong innings, giving up a run on five hits, and striking out 10.
The Brewers entertain the Yankees again this afternoon. Jason Alexander will start against Gerrit Cole.
• The Lions host the Commanders. Detroit center Frank Ragnow will miss the game because of injury. Running back D’Andre Swift is expected to play, despite a gimpy ankle. Kickoff is at 1 on 99.3 The Lift.
• The Packers entertain the Bears in the Sunday night game.
Upcoming local sports broadcasts:
• Thursday – Houghton volleyball entertains Hancock in the Copper Spike match. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Houghton football plays at Hancock in the Copper Bowl contest. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Friday – Calumet football hosts Gwinn. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.