Click on the highlighted scores for full stories.
In the regional semifinals of the girls’ high school basketball tournament last night…
– In Class B, Houghton shut down Kalkaska 56-29. The Gremlins will face Manistee in the Regional title game tomorrow night in Sault Ste. Marie. Hear the broadcast on KBear 102 and KBear102.com.
– In Class C, Calumet defeated Iron Mountain 41-36. The Copper Kings will take on Gwinn in the Regional final tomorrow night at Escanaba.
– In Class D, Ontonagon fell to Forest Park 50-28.
In boys’ tournament action tonight…
– In Class C at Ironwood, Calumet will face Ironwood for the District title tonight.
– Class D at Ontonagon, Jeffers will play Dollar Bay tonight at 6:00. Chassell will take on unbeaten Lake Linden-Hubbell tonight at 7:30. Our pregame coverage begins around 5:40 on 97.7 The Wolf and TheWolf.com.
See video highlights from the Calumet and Ontonagon games here.
In the quarterfinals of the high school hockey tournament, Houghton meets Sault Ste. Marie tonight in Marquette. Hear the broadcast on KBear 102.3 and KBear 102.com.
The Michigan Tech hockey team is ranked fourth in the nation this week in both the USCHO and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine polls. The Huskies are seeded second in the WCHA tournament, and host Alabama-Huntsville in the opening round this weekend. See both polls here.
NHL – Red Wings Prepare for Columbus
The Detroit Red Wings host the Blue Jackets tomorrow evening. Face-off is at 7:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
NBA – Pistons Fall to Lakers
The Detroit Pistons lost their seventh-straight game last night, falling to the Lakers 93-85. Greg Monroe led Detroit with 24 points. The Pistons play at Golden State tonight. Tip-off is at 10:30 on AM 1400 and FM 99.3 WCCY.
Alfredo Simon tossed three scoreless innings, as the Detroit Tigers beat the Phillies in Grapefruit League play 6-0 yesterday. Daniel Fields, J.D. Martinez and Stephen Moya homered for Detroit. The Tigers play the Nationals this afternoon. David Price will start for Detroit, and Bruce Rondon is scheduled to make his first appearance since undergoing Tommy John surgery last year.
Kyle Lohse threw three shutout innings, and Brewers got past the Reds 5-3 yesterday. Martin Maldonado and Shane Peterson homered for Milwaukee. The Brewers face the Giants this afternoon. Matt Garza will start for Milwaukee.
NFL – Lions Trade for Ngata
The Lions filled the gap left by the departure of Ndamukong Suh by trading for five-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata of the Ravens. The Lions will give Baltimore a fourth, fifth and seventh-round draft pick. Ngata is entering the final season of a five-year contract.
The high school hockey tournament continues tonight. Hear Houghton’s quarterfinal game against Sault Ste. Marie on KBear 102.3 and KBear102.com. Jeffers faces Dollar Bay, and Chassell takes on Lake Linden-Hubbell boys hoops play on 97.7 The Wolf.