In high school football Saturday…
• Houghton downed Iron Mountain 21-14. Cam Markham passed for two touchdowns, and ran for another. The Gremlins improve to 2-1, and visit Bark River-Harris next Saturday. Coverage will begin at 1:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell suffered its first loss of the season, falling to Norway 30-8. The Lakes scored on their opening possession, with Ben Tampas completing a 59-yard drive with a three-yard run, and then taking a pitch from quarterback Danny Marcotte into the end zone for the two-point conversion. Defenses then took over, until Norway quarterback Nathaniel Nanney completed a 25-yard scoring pass to Aiden Richards in the closing seconds of the first half. The two-point conversion failed. Both teams were frustrated by turnovers in the third quarter, with the Knights once losing the ball in the Lake Linden end zone. Norway found its rhythm early in the fourth quarter, when Michael Peterson ran 15 yards for the go-ahead touchdown. Peterson, who took over at quarterback after Nanney was forced from the game, then found Kyle Napientek for a 10-yard TD pass. Gabe Hautamaki’s 20-yard run with 3:10 remaining closed out the scoring. The Lakes play at North Central next Saturday. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
In volleyball Saturday…
• Calumet won the title at the Ashwaubenon Invitational. The Copper Kings won their pool by defeating Hilbert 2-1, Green Bay New Lutheran 2-0, and Ashwaubenon 2-0 and advanced to the Gold Bracket. In the first round, the Copper Kings defeated Wrightstown in straight sets, 25-18, 25-20. The Copper Kings dropped the opening set of the tournament championship match against Seymour, and were down 14-20 in the second set before battling back to win 25-23. The Kings went on to win the deciding set 15-11. Statistical leaders included:
– Marybeth Halonen 5 aces, 12 kills
– Lizzie Torola 15 aces, 25 kills
– Laina Kareniemi 7 aces, 50 assists
– Helen Beiring 11 aces, 39 kills, 10 digs
– Jana Loukus 4 aces, 41 digs
– Mallie Anderson 2 aces, 23 assists
– Ila Goulette 23 kills
– Alexis Strom 21 digs
• Houghton breezed through pool play at the Rock Invitational at Gladstone, dropping just one set as they defeated Westwood, Ishpeming, Gladstone, Gwinn and Carney-Nadeau. The Gremlins fell in the finals 2-0 (18-25, 36-38) to Kingsford.
• Dollar Bay-Tamarack City, Baraga, Chassell and Jeffers competed at the Baraga Invitational. Full results were not reported, but Jeffers went undefeated, and took the title.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The MTU football team fell to Saint Thomas 12-9 Saturday. Fred Kemp put the Huskies up early with a 38-yard punt return for a touchdown. The extra point attempt failed. Drew Wyble kicked a 25-yard field goal. Tech’s lead held until late in the fourth quarter, when the Tommies fumbled the ball into the MTU end zone, and then recovered it for a touchdown. With the score tied after the extra point attempt failed, Saint Thomas’ Louis Hyde booted a 32-yard field goal with 59 seconds on the clock to win the game.
The Northern Michigan University football team lost 28-10 to Wisconsin-Oshkosh Saturday.
The Finlandia football team dropped a 26-2 decision to Concordia-Chicago Saturday. The Lions’ only score came on a safety on a blocked punt in the closing seconds of the first half. Finlandia quarterback Fernando Monroe rushed for 72 yards, and completed 18 of 33 passes for 113 yards, with one interception.
The Finlandia University women’s soccer team shaded North Central 3-2 Saturday. It was the Lions’ first-ever win over the Rams. After giving up a goal in the opening minute, Finlandia got tallies from Marissa Schilling, Shannon Mattson and India Charles to take control. North Central added a late score to make it close. The Lions will visit Olaf today.
The Michigan Tech soccer team plays at Minnesota-Crookston today.
The Tech volleyball team completed a sweep at the Illinois-Springfield Capital Classic Saturday, with 3-0 wins over Lake Erie (25-14, 25-17, 25-15) and the host team (25-21, 25-20, 25-13). Anna Joynas had 10 kills in the first match, and 16 in the second.
The Finlandia volleyball team blanked Emmaus Bible College 3-0 Saturday.
The Detroit Tigers lost to the Tampa Bay Rays 7-2 Saturday. Casey Mize gave up three runs over two innings, with his appearance limited by a pitch count. Robbie Grossman homered.
The Tigers host the Rays again this afternoon. Tarik Skubal will start against Luis Patiño. Because of Detroit Lions football on 99.3 The Lift, there will be no Tigers broadcast.
Detroit returned pitcher Matthew Boyd to the injured list yesterday, as he continues to struggle with a strained left elbow. He has scheduled an appointment with a specialist this week. Ian Krol was brought up from Toledo to fill in.
Corbin Burnes and Josh Hader combined for a no-hitter, as the Milwaukee Brewers blanked the Cleveland Indians 3-0 Saturday. Burnes struck out 14 over the eight innings he pitched. Hader struck out two of the three batters he faced.
The Crew concludes that interleague set in Cleveland today. Eric Lauer will pitch against Aaron Civale. Lauer is filling in for Brandon Woodruff, who is sidelined with a stomach bug.
The Reds lost to the Cardinals 6-4, so Milwaukee’s lead over Cincinnati in the National League Central Division is now 13 games. Any combination of seven Brewers wins or Reds losses will clinch the title for Milwaukee.
The Detroit Lions begin their season today with a 1:00 home game against the San Francisco 49ers. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Green Bay Packers open in New Orleans, with a 4:25 game against the Saints.
High School Broadcasts
• The Calumet volleyball team plays at Hancock Tuesday. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Negaunee Thursday. Coverage will start around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Calumet football team entertains West Iron County Friday. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Houghton football team visits Bark River-Harris Saturday. Coverage will start at 1:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Central Saturday. Coverage will begin at 1:40 on KBear 102.3.
Email sports news and scores to email@example.com.