In high school football last night…
• Calumet dropped a 35-21 decision at Negaunee. Gerald Johnson connected with Philip Hanson for a 42-yard touchdown pass to give the Miners an early lead. A 16-yard Paul Sturos quarterback keeper tied the game, but a couple of Calumet turnovers thwarted their momentum. Negaunee took a 14-7 lead late in the first half, and was never headed. Kip Kangas turned in an 85-yard touchdown run in the second half for the Copper Kings, who fall to 0-2 on the season, and play at Westwood a week from tonight on KBear 102.3.
• Houghton earned its first victory of the season, downing L’Anse 34-7. The Gremlins struck early, with Kyle Primeau scampering 80-yards for a touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Camden Markham tossed a 21-yard touchdown pass to Gaborik Carlson, and finished the first quarter with a 55-yard scoring toss to Cade Farrell. Primeau added a two-yard TD run in the second quarter. Kaiden Zapolnik closed out the Gremlins’ scoring with a six-yard run in the fourth quarter. The Purple Hornets’ only score came late in the game on a Dysean Allen run. Farrell also had two interceptions for the Gremlins, who improve to 1-1, and host Iron Mountain next Saturday on 97.7 The Wolf. See video highlights from ABC 10 here:
• Hancock downed Ishpeming 20-12.
On the schedule tonight…
• Lake Linden-Hubbell entertains Rapid River in a rare Friday game at Warner Field. Keweenaw Report Sports coverage begins at 4:40 in advance of a 5:00 kickoff on KBear 102.3.
• Ontonagon hosts Ironwood.
In high school volleyball last evening…
• Hancock downed Lake Linden-Hubbell 3-1 (19-25, 25-22, 25-12, 25-6).
• Ewen-Trout Creek defeated Dollar Bay-Tamarack City 3-1 (25-12, 23-25, 25-21, 26-24).
• Jeffers swept Ontonagon 3-0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-23). Allie Pietila led the Jets with five blocks.
• L’Anse got past Westwood 3-2.
• Baraga v Wakefield-Marenisco – no report.
In cross country today, Houghton and Hancock will compete at the Dale Phillips Invitational at Presque Isle Park in Marquette.
See the full schedule for all area high school teams at KBear102.com.
The Michigan Tech soccer team shut down Minnesota Duluth 4-0 last evening. Grace Shaw and Jesse Jacobusse each scored twice for the Huskies. Tech will host Saint Cloud State tomorrow morning at 11:00.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team hosts Mount Mary tomorrow at 5:00. The men’s team entertains Crown College tomorrow at 8:00, and hosts Blackburn Sunday at 2:30.
The Tech volleyball team opened the Keweenaw Classic with a 3-0 (25-18, 27-25, 25-23) win over seventh-ranked Minnesota-Duluth last night. Olivia Ghormley and Jillian Kuizenga each collected 15 kills. Laura De Marchi racked up 42 assists, and Megan Utlak had 16 digs.
The Huskies will take on Minnesota State today at noon, Saint Cloud State this evening at 7:30, and Concordia-Saint Paul tomorrow at 5:00.
Northern Michigan University edged Minnesota State 3-2 in their opening Keweenaw Classic game last night.
The Wildcats will play Saint Cloud State this morning at 9:30, Concordia-Saint Paul at 2:30 this afternoon, and Minnesota-Duluth tomorrow at 2:30.
The Finlandia volleyball team is at the Ripon Invitational. They’ll play the host team and Maranatha Baptist today, and Northland and Wisconsin-La Crosse tomorrow.
The Michigan Tech football team begins its season tomorrow at 2:00 at home against Hillsdale.
The NMU football squad opens its campaign at McKendree University in Lebanon, Illinois.
The Finlandia football team starts its season on the road at Lawrence University in Appleton.
The Detroit Tigers’ late comeback fell short, as they lost to the Oakland A’s 8-6 yesterday. Matt Manning couldn’t make it through the fourth inning, and was charged with all eight runs. Harold Castro and Jeimer Candelario homered for Detroit.
The Tigers open an interleague series in Cincinnati tonight. Tyler Alexander will start against Vladimir Gutierrez. Coverage will begin at 6:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
The San Francisco Giants erupted for four runs in the eighth inning, and defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 5-1 yesterday. The meltdown by Devin Williams spoiled a good start by Eric Lauer, who gave up a run on three hits over seven innings.
The Brewers host the Saint Louis Cardinals tonight. Freddy Peralta returns from nearly two weeks on the injured list to pitch against Adam Wainwright.
The line drive that plugged Milwaukee pitcher Brett Anderson in the shoulder during Wednesday’s game has landed him on the injured list. Alec Bettinger has been called up from Nashville to fill in.
The Detroit Red Wings have signed free agent center Carter Rowney to a one-year contract. Rowney is 32. He played just 19 games for the Ducks last season before undergoing knee surgery.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.