In high school football Saturday…
• Houghton scored twice in the fourth quarter, and then survived a bad punt snap in the final seconds to defeat Bark River 21-20. Both teams scored on their opening possessions, the Gremlins on a 5-yard run by Kaiden Zapolnik. The first of three successful extra points by Raymond Shaw made it 7-6, after the first. The Broncos dominated the second quarter, lead 12-7 at halftime, and extended their lead to 20-7 at the start of the final quarter. The Gremlins started their comeback with a 28 yard touchdown pass to Kade Ferrell and took the lead with a 16 yard scoring strike to Gaborik Carlson within the final three minutes. An interception gave the ball back to Houghton, but they could not run out the clock. On the only punt of the game, with nine seconds left, Reed Heathman saw the snap fly over his head toward the end zone. Heathman won the race to the ball, and was able to run out the clock to preserve the win. The Gremlins improve to 3-1, and will host Hancock Friday night in the annual Copper Bowl game. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• Lake Linden-Hubbell proved no match for North Central, falling 65-0. The defending eight-player division two state champions scored every time they had the ball. Only their final drive, which was led by junior varsity players, took more than three plays. Luke Gorzinski, Alex Naser and Wyatt Raab each ran for two touchdowns. The Lakes fall to 2-2, and play at North Dickinson Friday night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
See the full schedule for all our local high school teams here.
The Michigan Tech and Finlandia University football teams had the weekend off.
Northern Michigan University defeated Davenport University 20-14 Saturday. Drake Davis threw for two touchdowns, and ran for another. He finished with 132 rushing yards, and completed 17 of 28 passes for 176 yards.
The Michigan Tech soccer team will host second-ranked Grand Valley State today at noon.
The Finlandia women’s soccer team edged Ripon College 2-1 Saturday. After spotting the Red Hawks a goal 45 seconds into the contest, the Lions got scores from Shannon Mattson and Katie Brown. Finlandia will play at Carroll University today.
The MTU volleyball team swept Davenport 3-0 (25-8, 25-20, 26-24) Saturday. Lindy Oujiri led the Huskies with 13 kills. De Marchi had 42 assists, and Megan Utlak notched 11 digs.
The Finlandia volleyball team closed out the Lawrence Invitational Saturday with a 3-2 (17-25, 21-25, 25-18, 25-14, 16-14) loss to Maranatha Baptist, and a 3-0 (25-12, 25-13, 25-19) defeat by the Milwaukee School of Engineering.
The Detroit Tigers took an early lead, and held off the Tampa Bay Rays 4-3 Saturday. Jeimer Candelario and Dustin Garneau homered for Detroit. Tarik Skubal gave up two runs on three hits in a pitch count-limited three innings. José Ureña got the win in relief, and Michael Fulmer claimed the save.
The Tigers visit the Rays again today. Wily Peralta will start against Shane McClanahan. Coverage will begin at 12:50 on 99.3 The Lift.
Outfielder Derek Hill had to be carted off the field after a nasty baserunning collision at first base. The preliminary diagnosis was a hyperextended left knee. He could miss the rest of the season.
The Milwaukee Brewers guaranteed themselves a fourth straight post-season appearance with a 6-4 victory over the Chicago Cubs Saturday. Manny Piña and Eduardo Escobar homered early in the game. Piña second round-tripper broke a 4-4 tie in the eighth inning, and Kolton Wong singled home an insurance run. Corbin Burnes gave up three runs over six innings. Josh Hader earned his 33rd save.
The Brewers host the Cubs again today. Eric Lauer will start against Adrian Sampson.
The win assured the Crew of at least a wild card playoff berth. The Reds lost, and were eliminated. The Cardinals won, so any combination of three Milwaukee wins or Saint Louis losses will clinch the National League Central Division title for the Brewers.
Milwaukee outfielder Lorenzo Cain crashed into the outfield wall while making a highlight-reel catch Saturday. He later left the game, with what manager Craig Counsell later described as a groin injury.
In tonight’s NFL contest, the Kansas City Chiefs visit the Baltimore Ravens. Hear the broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
The Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers meet in the Monday night game, also broadcast on 99.3 The Lift.
High School Broadcasts
• The Houghton volleyball team plays at Hancock in the Copper Spike match Thursday. Coverage will begin around 6:10 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Houghton football team hosts Hancock in the Copper Bowl game Friday night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Gremlins, 97.7 The Wolf.
• The Calumet football team plays at Gwinn Friday night. Coverage will start at 6:40 on the Voice of the Copper Kings, KBear 102.3.
• The Lake Linden-Hubbell football team plays at North Central Friday night. Coverage will begin at 6:40 on 99.3 The Lift.
Email sports news and scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.